For months Ryan Hurst was the actor that fans imagined when thinking of a live-action Kratos. The Sons of Anarchy actor had the beard, his physique, and, because of his voice work in God of War Ragnarök, an established link with the franchise which made his selection seem like a natural choice. Then, just as suddenly as he had appeared, he was no longer there.
This week Amazon and Sony Pictures Television have confirmed something that industry sources have been saying for weeks: Dave Bautista will be the new Kratos and Hurst will not be returning to the Prime Video series. The full account of what took place, the reason why the studio made that decision, and the implications for a programme which was already well into production is set out below.
Ryan Hurst’s Casting Felt Like a Perfect Match
Hurst’s journey to landing the role of Kratos started way back before he was officially cast. In 2022 he provided the voice for Thor in God of War Ragnarök, a performance which earned him a BAFTA nomination and ensured that he was noticed by everyone who was looking at the franchise’s available talent. And so when Prime Video announced in January 2026 that Hurst would be heading up its much-anticipated live-action God of War series, fans generally responded in a positive way since the actor already knew the mythology, had the physical presence of a battle-scarred Spartan warrior and had built up real dramatic intensity through his work on Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead.
The show has been ordered for two seasons and is based on the storyline from the two most recent God of War games, depicting Kratos and his young son Atreus as they carry the ashes of Kratos’s deceased wife, Faye, through a Norse world filled with gods and monsters. Callum Vinson will play Atreus, with a number of other actors in supporting roles such as Mandy Patinkin, Ed Skrein, Max Parker, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson and Teresa Palmer. Ronald D. Moore, who was the showrunner on Battlestar Galactica and Outlander, assumed control of the project after the original creative team left it in October 2024 due to reported creative differences with the producers.
Production started, and as everyone said, progress was being made. It was reported that four episodes had already been completed with Hurst in the leading role.
The Injury That Changed Everything
Then by the end of June all progress came to a standstill. Four months had passed since filming had started when Hurst pulled a tear in his bicep during a stunt on location. The injury sounded as if it could be managed in theory but in reality it was by no means simple surgery was needed and recovery from the operation can take nearly a year before an actor is once again at full strength.
When it comes to a character such as Kratos, “full strength” is no metaphor. The character is essentially based on having extremely muscular physical features, and an injured arm cannot easily be concealed by means of a costume or a camera angle, particularly in a production that includes a lot of hand-to-hand combat and the use of weapons.
Production stopped right away following the injury. According to people close to the show, in mid-July entertainment magazines were told that there was a careful expectation that Hurst might be back on set by mid-August. However, that timeline turned out to be unrealistic. On July 17, Deadline stated that Amazon and Sony had had to make the tough decision to completely recast the role rather than wait until a recovery that could have delayed filming until 2027.
For Hurst it was a harsh development, he lost a role that was defining of his career not on account of his performance or chemistry, but because of a stunt that went wrong.
Enter Dave Bautista
The search for a replacement wasn’t long-lasting. Just a few days after the announcement of the casting change, Variety stated that Dave Bautista was already in negotiations for the role. This was a straightforward connection to establish. Having once been a WWE Champion and since then a regular in Hollywood, Bautista has over the years demonstrated that he is capable of carrying parts which require substantial physical transformation, such as Drax in the Guardians of the Galaxy series and his appearances in Dune, Blade Runner 2049, and Spectre. There are few actors currently active who combine his level of screen presence, his record in action films, and the kind of build that could plausibly depict an ancient Spartan god of war.
The discussions progressed rapidly. It was reported by Variety in mid-August that Bautista had officially agreed to take the role, and this week the studios announced it: Dave Bautista is Kratos, without any doubt.
Once the casting decision has been finalised, the programme has to take on a expensive but inevitable next move, all the scenes which have already been filmed with Hurst must now be reshot with Bautista taking his place. Frédéric Tual, who directed the first two episodes featuring Hurst, is expected to carry out the reshot of those sequences with the new lead. Production is set to restart in Vancouver, the city where the series is based, with preparatory work beginning in the coming weeks and filming getting underway again around mid-October.
What This Means for Ryan Hurst
Hurst has not made any public comments regarding his injury or the decision not to appoint him with the role. Interestingly, prior to the news of the recasting, he had allowed a look at his interpretation of Kratos, thus giving fans a preview of the character he had been developing. At that time, the footage received a mixed response – some found it inferior to the imposing, almost mythic stature of the character in the games, a comparison which has always been a great challenge for any live-action actor to meet.
It is not clear whether the restrained reaction to that initial preview had anything to do with the studio’s choice not to wait for Hurst’s recovery, and it might merely be a matter of coincidental timing linked to the period of recovery. What is certain, however, is that a bicep injury needing as much as a year of rehabilitation was in itself sufficient to make the studio’s calculations impossible for a programme that was already bearing the costs of a complete production halt.
A Costly but Familiar Hollywood Story
It is expensive and disruptive to replace an actor halfway through production, though such a thing is by no means unknown in television and film. In the past studios have had to make the same decision when an actor’s availability has clashed with a production schedule that couldn’t be altered. In the case of a major-budget adaptation such as God of War, for which two seasons have already been greenlit and filmed consecutively, the decision probably came down to one straightforward question: pay the cost of doing the reshoots at this stage or risk delaying the whole release schedule by more than a year.
Amazon and Sony went with the first option. Now that Bautista has been hired, the casting process is complete and a new date for filming has been set, it seems that the God of War series is once again on course, despite the fact that the journey to reach this point has cost one actor his opportunity to take on the role of the Ghost of Sparta.
At this time there hasn’t been a release date announced for the series, but since production is set to resume this fall, fans can look for more information regarding the show’s progress in the coming months.


