Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • REPORT A STORY
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • CONTACT
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE

Nigerians And Other Foreign Nationals Seek Shelter As Xenophic Attacks Resume In South Africa(Photos)

by Davies Ngere Ify
March 27, 2019
in General
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A number of foreigners displaced during a xenophobic attack at Burnwood settlement in Sydenham area of Durban, South Africa, were being accommodated at a nearby mosque yesterday.

According to Lieutenant-Colonel Thulani Zwane, protesting community members removed foreigners from their homes in the early hours of yesterday morning.

“No one was injured or assaulted. Police had to intervene and monitor the situation,” he said.

Fleeing residents were escorted by police to the Sydenham police station. Resident Domenic King said the foreigners’ shops were looted once they had left. “People were walking out of other people’s shacks carrying fridges,” he said.

READ ALSO

What AGN knew, What it did not know: Inside the Guild’s careful response to Stanley Amandi’s Coup Arrest .

My Ordeals In The Hands Of My Abductors,Narrates Enugu-born Surveyor

NIGERIA AT A CROSSROADS: Trump’s CPC tag, escalating violence and pressing questions

Analysis: Attacks on Women, Ritual Activities Continue To Gain Momentum In Nigeria

Detailing the Hollywoodbets register process

King said people had been dropping off supplies such as food and blankets since news of the attack broke.

“More people keep coming forward with supplies. We have had people come from as far as Durban North. These people might not have the comfort of a shelter yet, but helping hands have brought some sort of relief,” he said.

The municipal head of International Governance and Relations, Eric Apelgren who was in Sydenham, said he sent a proposal to the city manager for temporary shelter for the displaced and was waiting for approval for a marquee and other items.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Union in South Africa (NUSA) has expressed displeasure with the alleged violent attack of Nigerians in the latest wave of xenophobic attacks on foreigners in that country.

The Acting Secretary of NUSA, Collins Mgbo, gave the condemnation in a letter addressed to the South African authorities, a copy of which made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt on Wednesday.

He said the xenophobic attacks on foreigners started on March 24 in Brits, North West Province and Durban, Kwazulu-Natal province.

RELATED STORYPosts

General

What AGN knew, What it did not know: Inside the Guild’s careful response to Stanley Amandi’s Coup Arrest .

by Samuel David
February 2, 2026
General

My Ordeals In The Hands Of My Abductors,Narrates Enugu-born Surveyor

by Nnadi Christopher Ikechukwu
December 19, 2025

Discussion about this post

JUST IN

El-Rufai and Ribadu: Blurring the lines of genuine activism and unsettling rabble-rousing

by Afolabi Hakim
22:04 Feb 16, 2026

He however needs to know that there should be a limit to…

WITHIN NIGERIA

WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD.

NEWS, MULTI MEDIA

WITHIN NIGERIA is an online news media that focuses on authoritative reports, investigations and major headlines that springs from National issues, Politics, Metro, Entertainment; and Articles.

Follow us on social media:

CORPORATE LINKS

  • About
  • Contacts
  • Report a story
  • Advertisement
  • Content Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
 
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • WHO IS WITHIN NIGERIA?
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY
  • TERMS

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName