WITHIN NIGERIA is committed to non-partisanship, transparency of sources, and being open to reasonable criticism and corrections.
We work towards getting accurate information at the first instance instead of making it public first and then subsequently addressing any doubts whatsoever.
We prefer to use unbiased information and data sources viewed by our equals, as much as possible. We also alert our readers on information and data from selected sources that should be evaluated considerately.
Any piece that is not deemed up to our standards during internal review by one or more editors is subject to further revision and review before being released for publication or finally discarded.
ALLEGATIONS: We verify any claims or allegations or information attributed to public authorities or from someone, who We believe, has a cause beyond just giving an account of the truthfulness of the event, while We also qualify and call-out such information, including claims or allegations, which we are unable to corroborate.
SOURCING INFORMATION: We ensure gathering from a reliable source, based on concrete and corroborated evidence. As mentioned earlier, we always attribute stories with lack of direct sources to the platform from where it is sourced.
We source information in the most accurate way by following the given guidelines:
- We verify with at least two sources. In case of a single source, the credibility of the source is ensured through corroboration with what the person is saying. In case of online data such as survey, We ensure to provide the way the information was collected and how the data was interpreted.
- We Always put efforts to talk on record with the stakeholders of the information/news. In case of a concealed source identity, we explain why names are not mentioned when an anonymous source is being used, however, we work out several ways to provide our readers with as much information as possible about them so that they can assess the sources’ reliability.
- Sources are always shared with Our editors for them to decide whether the information is appropriate for use.
- We clarify a source’s specific demands such as keeping information “off the record because such terms can have different meanings for different people.
- We scrutinize materials from a social media site or other internet source that is being used to corroborate a fact. We qualify and call-out all material that was not gathered by Us.
RESPONSES: We give people the right to respond to reporting. We ensure that a fair opportunity is given to the public to report any inaccuracies or errors on Our Website via “Contact Page” link that is provided on all our web pages.
SUBMITTED REPORTS: We do not assume that all material shared with Us is accurate and, this make us take actions to verify their veracity. And all user-generated content are clearly identified as such.