WITHIN NIGERIA is dedicated to 100% accurate, fair and balanced reporting. Clear and precision of words, headlines, and URLs of our stories are our utmost concern because we understand the damages that can be caused by false information. That said, we have set out policies and guidelines that helps us to avoid misleading the public and take swift actions whenever we unknowingly err.
WITHIN NIGERIA is required by default to fact-check the information on both soft and hard stories. Therefore, our news writers have been mandated to verify the information they gather and write at all times, most especially names, locations, factual statements, original sources related to the content using fact-checkers both online and within the editorial team. In addition, they are further guided by our Ethics Policy.
For multi-party stories, we ensure that we check the information with all related parties before publishing it online.
All Our stories are subjected to scrutiny on multiple levels, including internal procedure that ensures perfection of every piece which also go through one or more of senior editors who partake in review of the stories before it is published on our Website and app. The internal process differs and depends on varieties of factors depending upon the nature and complexity of the topic, pressure of time, topics on influential and powerful people and sensitivity of the story.
WITHIN NIGERIA is committed to non-partisanship, transparency of sources, and being open to reasonable criticism and corrections.
We work towards getting accurate information at the first instance instead of making it public first and then subsequently addressing any doubts whatsoever.
We prefer to use unbiased information and data sources viewed by our equals, as much as possible. We also alert our readers on information and data from selected sources that should be evaluated considerately.
Any piece that is not deemed up to our standards during internal review by one or more editors is subject to further revision and review before being released for publication or finally discarded.
ALLEGATIONS: We verify any claims or allegations or information attributed to public authorities or from someone, who We believe, has a cause beyond just giving an account of the truthfulness of the event, while We also qualify and call-out such information, including claims or allegations, which we are unable to corroborate.
SOURCING INFORMATION: We ensure gathering from a reliable source, based on concrete and corroborated evidence. As mentioned earlier, we always attribute stories with lack of direct sources to the platform from where it is sourced.
We source information in the most accurate way by following the given guidelines:
- We verify with at least two sources. In case of a single source, the credibility of the source is ensured through corroboration with what the person is saying. In case of online data such as survey, We ensure to provide the way the information was collected and how the data was interpreted.
- We Always put efforts to talk on record with the stakeholders of the information/news. In case of a concealed source identity, we explain why names are not mentioned when an anonymous source is being used, however, we work out several ways to provide our readers with as much information as possible about them so that they can assess the sources’ reliability.
- Sources are always shared with Our editors for them to decide whether the information is appropriate for use.
- We clarify a source’s specific demands such as keeping information “off the record because such terms can have different meanings for different people.
- We scrutinize materials from a social media site or other internet source that is being used to corroborate a fact. We qualify and call-out all material that was not gathered by Us.
RESPONSES: We give people the right to respond to reporting. We ensure that a fair opportunity is given to the public to report any inaccuracies or errors on Our Website via “Contact Page” link that is provided on all our web pages.
SUBMITTED REPORTS: We do not assume that all material shared with Us is accurate and, this make us take actions to verify their veracity. And all user-generated content are clearly identified as such.
We do not consciously misinform anyone. Where serious factual errors come to the fore, We publicly accept them, ensure that they are promptly rectified in a clear and an appropriate manner.
If we change the news item/information on our website, We ensure that We duly inform Our readers of the changes made in such news item/information.
If we receive a claim regarding information published on our website, we first contact the source of the claim for further elaboration and supporting information. We also contact individuals and organizations who would have more information about or have relevant experience on the subject at hand, as well as researching relevant news articles, journal articles, books, interview transcripts, statistical sources that has bearing on the topic.
|Monday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Tuesday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Wednesday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Thursday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Friday||8:15 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Saturday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|