Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • REPORT A STORY
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • CONTACT
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE

Lagos to demolish 100 distressed buildings

by Davies Ngere Ify
July 12, 2020
in National
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Lagos to demolish 100 distressed buildings
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Lagos State Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr Idris Salako, says the state government has earmarked 100 distressed buildings for demolition across the state.

The commissioner made this known during a visit to the site of the three-storey building which collapsed in the early hours of Saturday on Freeman St. Lagos Island.

“When we capture a building as distressed, people need to be moved out immediately, which we have been doing.

“However, when you move them out, they will still come back after the officers from these emergency management agencies leave,” Salako said.

READ ALSO

2025 Nigeria TI Corruption Index Rating: Socioeconomic Impacts On The Country

What Students must do before sitting for CB‑WASSCE in 2026

SECURITY WATCH: 316 lives lost to armed attacks 71 days after Tinubu’s emergency on security

SMART EARNINGS: Five online gigs Nigerians can explore for extra cash in 2026

AIR SAFETY REVIEW: Strengthening Nigeria’s aviation sector beyond basic regulations

He said that the agency would soon carry out an advert which would earmark over 100 distressed houses to be demolished

“The greed of developers, economising building materials for maximum gain also led to easy collapse of these buildings,” he said.

Salako said government would be at the forefront of detecting these distressed buildings and demolish them.

Mr Oluwafemi Oke-Osanyintolu, Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) who was also at the site, noted that three people died while nine survived the building collapse.

Oke-Osanyintolu said that combined efforts of different emergency management agencies helped in rescuing the survivors who were being attended to medically.

“The Ministry of Physical Planning, LASEMA, the Nigeria Police Force, the Nigerian Army amongst others, helped to rescue nine people who are presently receiving medical treatment and are in stable course,” he said.

Oke-Osanyintolu, however, said that the particular building had been marked for demolition because it failed the integrity test done on it by the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA).

“LASBCA had served the occupants quit notice and the Ministry of Physical Planning had informed the occupants to leave the building because the house was in distress.

“They, however, refused to adhere to the warnings which had resulted in the loss of lives and property,” he said.

Oke-Osanyitolu said that Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu had made sure that the safety of lives and property remained paramount to his administration.

“There are laws and building regulations on ground to ensure security of lives and property which people must adhere to.

“We are appealing to the people of the state to live in a responsible way and ensure that safety is paramount to what they are doing.

“In as much as the government has done the needful, our people need to abide by the rules and regulations of the state,” the LASEMA boss said.

RELATED STORYPosts

National

2025 Nigeria TI Corruption Index Rating: Socioeconomic Impacts On The Country

by Nnadi Christopher Ikechukwu
February 19, 2026
CB‑WASSCE for students in 2026
National

What Students must do before sitting for CB‑WASSCE in 2026

by Samuel David
February 16, 2026

Discussion about this post

JUST IN

Electoral Act Amendment: APC and the illusion of progressivism

by Afolabi Hakim
15:50 Feb 18, 2026

On Monday, the lower chamber, the House of Representatives, and the upper…

WITHIN NIGERIA

WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD.

NEWS, MULTI MEDIA

WITHIN NIGERIA is an online news media that focuses on authoritative reports, investigations and major headlines that springs from National issues, Politics, Metro, Entertainment; and Articles.

Follow us on social media:

CORPORATE LINKS

  • About
  • Contacts
  • Report a story
  • Advertisement
  • Content Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
 
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • WHO IS WITHIN NIGERIA?
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY
  • TERMS

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName