Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • REPORT A STORY
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • CONTACT
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE

Seun Egbegbe’s case stalled as Judge fines prosecutor N50,000

by OGBENI .O
November 6, 2018
in Metro
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo, sitting at the Federal High Court in Lagos, rejected the plea by the police prosecutor that the N50,000 be waived.

The judge rebuked the prosecutor for the snail’s pace at which the case had proceeded since Egbegbe and his co-defendants were arraigned in February last year.

The judge during the previous hearing awarded N50,000 cost against Anyigor after the defence counsel raised objection to the competence of a police officer, Godwin Omaka, to testify in the case.

Shortly after Omaka entered into the witness box at the last hearing, the defence counsel complained that they could not find his name on the list of the witnesses which the prosecutor served on them as part of the proof of evidence.

READ ALSO

Lady alleges rape in Lagos Apartment: Investigation Updates and Key Questions

N2.4bn Fraud: Ex-Nexim MD, Robert Orya’s Trip to 490 Years Sentence

Inside the ongoing controversy over Makoko demolition and 10,000 Lives displaced

How Long Can Anambra Survive the Sit-at-Home Market Shutdown?

Enugu: Family In Pains As 26-Year-Old Twin Member Goes Missing

Responding, the prosecutor, Anyigor, apologised, saying it was an oversight.

But Justice Oguntoyinbo rejected the apology and awarded N50,000 cost against Anyigor, stressing that the fine must be paid before the next adjourned date.

When the matter was called on Monday and Anyigor was asked by the judge why he had yet to pay the fine and urged the judge to waive it.

But the judge refused.

In view of the judge’s refusal to waive the fine, the prosecutor pleaded to be given two weeks to raise the money.

But Justice Oguntoyinbo said she could not grant any adjournment longer than seven days, noting that the case had already dragged.

“I am getting fed up with this case. There has to be an end to litigation; this matter must end.

“We are talking about human lives. Only one of them (defendants) has been able to secure bail, the others are in prison.

“Justice delayed is justice denied. These are young people, let them know their fate,” the judge told the prosecutor.

She subsequently adjourned the case till November 7, 2018, directing the prosecutor to ensure that the fine was paid.

The police charged Egbegbe and four others with alleged serial frauds involving N39,098,100, $90,000 and £12,550.

READ: 21-yr-old Man kills mother, makes love to her corpse for money ritual in Benin

They were accused of fraudulently obtaining the money from no fewer than 40 Bureau De Change operators in Lagos over a period of two years – 2015 to 2017.

Egbegbe and his co-defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the 40 counts pressed against them.

Those standing trial alongside Egbegbe are Oyekan Ayomide, Lawal Kareem, Olalekan Yusuf and Muyideen Shoyombo.

RELATED STORYPosts

Lady Mirabel's rape claims at Lagos apartment
Metro

Lady alleges rape in Lagos Apartment: Investigation Updates and Key Questions

by Samuel David
February 18, 2026
Metro

N2.4bn Fraud: Ex-Nexim MD, Robert Orya’s Trip to 490 Years Sentence

by Sodiq Lawal Chocomilo
February 9, 2026

Discussion about this post

JUST IN

Electoral Act Amendment: APC and the illusion of progressivism

by Afolabi Hakim
15:50 Feb 18, 2026

On Monday, the lower chamber, the House of Representatives, and the upper…

WITHIN NIGERIA

WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD.

NEWS, MULTI MEDIA

WITHIN NIGERIA is an online news media that focuses on authoritative reports, investigations and major headlines that springs from National issues, Politics, Metro, Entertainment; and Articles.

Follow us on social media:

CORPORATE LINKS

  • About
  • Contacts
  • Report a story
  • Advertisement
  • Content Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
 
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • WHO IS WITHIN NIGERIA?
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY
  • TERMS

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName