Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • REPORT A STORY
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • CONTACT
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE

Man City’s two-year Champions League ban Reversed by CAS

by Davies Ngere Ify
July 13, 2020
in Sports
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Manchester City have won their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over alleged financial fair play (FFP) violations and are free to play in the Champions League next season.

Recall that in February 2020, Pep Guardiola’s City was patted with a two-year European suspension and fined £25million for flouting FFP rules.

A long investigation was carried out and Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) of found City guilty of wrongly raising their sponsorship revenues when presenting accounts as part of the FFP agreement process.

However, City appealed their verdict and have apparently, succeeded in winning their appeal.

READ ALSO

2026 Lagos City Marathon Accident: Aftermath and Official Investigation Updates

Winter Moves — Sadiq, Aribo, Victor Moses… Nigerian footballers reshaping clubs mid-season

FROM BETS TO BEYOND: The rise of online platforms as entertainment destinations

How past disputes at Atalanta could affect Ademola Lookman in Madrid

TRANSFER WATCH: Nigerian players chase last-minute deals as January window edges towards closure

This verdict plunges the whole Financial Fair Play regime into disarray and may lead to notable mishaps among the Uefa hierarchy.

Manchester City were accused of disguising millions of pounds in funding from their Abu Dhabi owners as legal sponsorship deals.

The findings of Uefa’s financial investigators, led by former Belgian Prime Minister Yves Leterme, were upheld by the governing body’s Adjudicatory Chamber, which imposed the suspension and a fine of £25m.

Subsequently, Guardiola side appealed to the Lausanne-based court in February.

But City insisted on being innocent of the charges and refused to accept the penalty meted out on them.

Therefore, they went on to exercise their legal their right to go to sport’s ultimate legal chamber and made their case at a three-day virtual hearing in June.

Fortunately for the Ethihad side, they were vindicated as the Court ruled that City indeed, failed to cooperate with Uefa investigators. However, they were NOT guilty of the charges against them.

“The CAS award emphasized that most of the alleged breaches reported by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the CFCB were either not established or time-barred,” the Court said.

“As the charges with respect to any dishonest concealment of equity funding were clearly more significant violations than obstructing the CFCB’s investigations, it was not appropriate to impose a ban on participating in UEFA’s club competitions for MCFC’s failure to cooperate with the CFCB’s investigations alone.

Although the ban was lifted, they were still ordered to pay £8.9m for their “disregard” of the principle of cooperation in investigations. Recall that they were initially fined £25m.

From the starting, City maintained that the whole case was based on the “illegal hacking and out of context publication” of internal emails.

City also said that Leterme was their most bitter enemy, accusing him of overseeing a “flawed and consistently leaked” process which they dubbed “wholly unsatisfactory, curtailed and hostile”.

City accused Leterme and his colleagues of “unlawful activities” claiming that Leterme’s recommendation of a ban had been made “improperly and prematurely.

With this development, one of Manchester United, Chelsea or Leicester City will drop from the Champions League spot.

As of today, Chelsea is sitting fourth on the table, Leicester city are fifth while Man United occupy the sixth position.

However, Manchester United has four outstanding matches while Chelsea and Leicester have three outstanding matches each.

RELATED STORYPosts

The 2026 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon accident updates
Sports

2026 Lagos City Marathon Accident: Aftermath and Official Investigation Updates

by Samuel David
February 16, 2026
Sports

Winter Moves — Sadiq, Aribo, Victor Moses… Nigerian footballers reshaping clubs mid-season

by Abdulsalam Abdullahi Opeyemi
February 7, 2026

Discussion about this post

JUST IN

Terrorists kill 34 in Kebbi attack

by Afolabi Hakim
16:11 Feb 19, 2026

No fewer than 34 people lost their lives after terrorists suspected to…

WITHIN NIGERIA

WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD.

NEWS, MULTI MEDIA

WITHIN NIGERIA is an online news media that focuses on authoritative reports, investigations and major headlines that springs from National issues, Politics, Metro, Entertainment; and Articles.

Follow us on social media:

CORPORATE LINKS

  • About
  • Contacts
  • Report a story
  • Advertisement
  • Content Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
 
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • WHO IS WITHIN NIGERIA?
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY
  • TERMS

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName