- Gunmen in military uniform attacks Naka community in Benue, sets houses ablaze
- Appeal court freezes Fayose’s bank account
- Photos: Police arrest Senator Omo-Agege after Thugs cart away Senate mace during plenary
- Tragedy: Gunmen killed 4 policemen in Benue, 11 others missing (photos)
- Fresh Strike: Killer Herdsmen murder village head in Benue
- Another Popular Nollywood Actor, Tony Aleg is dead
- FG confirms Anambra as oil producing state, approves employment for 10,000 youths
- Swazi king’s 8th wife, Senteni Masango commits suicide
- Buhari officially declares to run for second term in 2019
- Nigerian singer, Ali Zainab and daughter allegedly murdered by Italian husband in Banana Island, Lagos
Woman accidentally shot dead during burial ceremony in Enugu
The Police in Enugu State have commenced investigation into an alleged accidental shooting at a burial ceremony which led to the death of a mourner while another sustained injury on Saturday.
The Enugu Police Command’s spokesman, SP Ebere Amaraizu, made this known in a statement in Enugu on Saturday.
Amaraizu said the incident occurred at Amanato Mburumbu community in Nkanu East Local Government Area, adding that the police recovered a locally-made single barrel gun at the scene of the incident.
Amaraizu said the victims were a woman and the chief mourner.
“It was gathered that tragedy struck when a man identified as Daniel Chukwu of Amanato Mburumbu community stormed the burial ceremony arena with his single barrel locally-made gun and perhaps never knew it was already set for action.
“It was further gathered that as the burial ceremony progressed and the suspect tried unslinging his gun, it allegedly discharged accidentally and hit one Ngozi Eze, 40, from Amanato Mburumbu community, who was confirmed dead.
“The chief mourner, identified as one Hawaya Nworiuzo, was also injured hence he was rushed to hospital for medical attention.
“The situation shocked sympathisers who scampered for their safety at about 12 noon today,’’ he said.
Amaraizu said that the suspect was helping the police in their investigation.
He also said the corpse of the dead had been deposited in a nearby mortuary for autopsy.