- Rev. Fr. Mbaka escapes death in a failed assassination attempts, Adoration ministry cries out
- Reps cancel Ajaokuta Steel privatisation, asks FG to revive it with recovered Abacha loot
- NASS approve June 12 as Democracy Day
- 2019: Obasanjo, Atiku in closed door meeting, plans on how to wrestle power from Buhari
- ASUU strkie continues as meeting with FG ends inconclusive
- Former US president George Bush is dead
- OPC founder, Frederick Fasehun is dead
- Full list of those affected as FG freezes bank accounts of suspects on Nigeria Looters list
- Tension rocks Akwa Ibom as sacked lawmakers again shut down Assembly complex, move to impeach Speaker
- Gang leader of Offa Bank robbery, Micheal Adikwu dies in Kwara Police’ custody
Woman accidentally shot dead during burial ceremony in Enugu
The Police in Enugu State have commenced investigation into an alleged accidental shooting at a burial ceremony which led to the death of a mourner while another sustained injury on Saturday.
The Enugu Police Command’s spokesman, SP Ebere Amaraizu, made this known in a statement in Enugu on Saturday.
Amaraizu said the incident occurred at Amanato Mburumbu community in Nkanu East Local Government Area, adding that the police recovered a locally-made single barrel gun at the scene of the incident.
Amaraizu said the victims were a woman and the chief mourner.
“It was gathered that tragedy struck when a man identified as Daniel Chukwu of Amanato Mburumbu community stormed the burial ceremony arena with his single barrel locally-made gun and perhaps never knew it was already set for action.
“It was further gathered that as the burial ceremony progressed and the suspect tried unslinging his gun, it allegedly discharged accidentally and hit one Ngozi Eze, 40, from Amanato Mburumbu community, who was confirmed dead.
“The chief mourner, identified as one Hawaya Nworiuzo, was also injured hence he was rushed to hospital for medical attention.
“The situation shocked sympathisers who scampered for their safety at about 12 noon today,’’ he said.
Amaraizu said that the suspect was helping the police in their investigation.
He also said the corpse of the dead had been deposited in a nearby mortuary for autopsy.