- BREAKING: Collation of Bauchi governorship election results stopped by Court
- Video: Another building collapses in Lagos, many trapped!
- At least 100 people feared dead, 200 missing as cyclone hits Mozambique and Zimbabwe
- APC Lawmaker recently elected, Garba Muhammad Butalawa dies in Kano
- Popular Nigerian artist, Okwui Enwezor die of cancer
- Many trapped, injured as another building collapses at Shogoye Bus Stop in Ibadan
- APC Lawmaker, Ezekiel Afon slumps, dies after winning House Of Assembly election in Plateau State
- INEC office burnt down in Imo before announcement of election results
- APC candidate, Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq wins Kwara gubernatorial polls, declared governor-elect
- Boat carrying election results, INEC officials capsizes in Delta State; 12 missing
Woman accidentally shot dead during burial ceremony in Enugu
The Police in Enugu State have commenced investigation into an alleged accidental shooting at a burial ceremony which led to the death of a mourner while another sustained injury on Saturday.
The Enugu Police Command’s spokesman, SP Ebere Amaraizu, made this known in a statement in Enugu on Saturday.
Amaraizu said the incident occurred at Amanato Mburumbu community in Nkanu East Local Government Area, adding that the police recovered a locally-made single barrel gun at the scene of the incident.
Amaraizu said the victims were a woman and the chief mourner.
“It was gathered that tragedy struck when a man identified as Daniel Chukwu of Amanato Mburumbu community stormed the burial ceremony arena with his single barrel locally-made gun and perhaps never knew it was already set for action.
“It was further gathered that as the burial ceremony progressed and the suspect tried unslinging his gun, it allegedly discharged accidentally and hit one Ngozi Eze, 40, from Amanato Mburumbu community, who was confirmed dead.
“The chief mourner, identified as one Hawaya Nworiuzo, was also injured hence he was rushed to hospital for medical attention.
“The situation shocked sympathisers who scampered for their safety at about 12 noon today,’’ he said.
Amaraizu said that the suspect was helping the police in their investigation.
He also said the corpse of the dead had been deposited in a nearby mortuary for autopsy.