- Ekiti Election Result: Fayemi wins as overall result emerge online
- World Cup: For the first time since 1990 England qualifies for semi-finals after beating Sweden 2-0
- Former CBN governor, Adamu Ciroma is dead
- Court orders NASS to begin impeachment process against Buhari
- Gunmen shot seven policemen dead in Abuja
- Arms Deal: Court grants Dasuki N200m bail after 30 months of detention in DSS Custody
- Another tanker fire accident along Suleja-Minna road, five confirmed injured
- Another Nigerian Celebrity, Deacon Famous, loses son
- Angry youths take over Plateau Government House over Killings, violent protests turn bloody
- Plateau Killings: Commissioner of Police sacked with immediate effect
Woman accidentally shot dead during burial ceremony in Enugu
The Police in Enugu State have commenced investigation into an alleged accidental shooting at a burial ceremony which led to the death of a mourner while another sustained injury on Saturday.
The Enugu Police Command’s spokesman, SP Ebere Amaraizu, made this known in a statement in Enugu on Saturday.
Amaraizu said the incident occurred at Amanato Mburumbu community in Nkanu East Local Government Area, adding that the police recovered a locally-made single barrel gun at the scene of the incident.
Amaraizu said the victims were a woman and the chief mourner.
“It was gathered that tragedy struck when a man identified as Daniel Chukwu of Amanato Mburumbu community stormed the burial ceremony arena with his single barrel locally-made gun and perhaps never knew it was already set for action.
“It was further gathered that as the burial ceremony progressed and the suspect tried unslinging his gun, it allegedly discharged accidentally and hit one Ngozi Eze, 40, from Amanato Mburumbu community, who was confirmed dead.
“The chief mourner, identified as one Hawaya Nworiuzo, was also injured hence he was rushed to hospital for medical attention.
“The situation shocked sympathisers who scampered for their safety at about 12 noon today,’’ he said.
Amaraizu said that the suspect was helping the police in their investigation.
He also said the corpse of the dead had been deposited in a nearby mortuary for autopsy.