- Breaking: Jigawa Speaker Hon. Idris Garba, Chief Whip and Majority Leader impeached at the same time
- BREAKING: VC of Kwara State University sacked with immediate effect
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force Pilot, Air Commodore Udenyi killed in Lagos while awaiting promotion to Air Vice Marshall
- Breaking: Taraba State permanent secretary, Susana Jonathan kidnapped by gunmen
- BREAKING: Former Head of State, Yakubu Gowon slumps in Delta State during ‘military salute’ at a graveside
- Breaking: Kano State Government sacks all permanent secretaries
- Breaking: UBEC chairman, daughter regain Freedom
- BREAKING: UBEC chairman, daughter kidnapped along Kaduna-Abuja expressway, Driver shot dead
- BREAKING: Explosion rocks Ondo, 5 oil wells on fire
- Buhari extends appointment of acting CJN, Muhammad
N1.1 bn Fraud: Prisons are congested, please show mercy — Weeping ex-plateau governor, Joshua Dariye, begs judge
‘‘Please, show mercy. I was misled, the prisons are congested’’ ex-plateau governor, Joshua Dariye, begged judge in court yesterday.
Former Plateau state governor, Joshua Dariye, yesterday pleaded with Justice Adebukola Banjoko to temper justice with mercy as she handed him a 14-year jail term for diverting N1.1 billion from the state when he was governor.
Counsel to Dariye, Paul Eroko, pleaded for the court to temper justice with mercy as his client was misled by some persons.
“Appeals to your judgement do not succeed, we will fall on your mercy. The prisons are congested. They misled the governor, it is the bank, they said he didn’t have to present anything.” he said.
Counsel to EFCC, Rotimi Jacobs, said Dariye did not deserve a light sentence because he “didn’t show remorse” and that a strong sentence would serve as a deterrence to those holding public offices.
“He is not remorseful, his case should serve as a deterrence,” Jacobs said.
At this point, Dariye said he wanted to speak.
“Have mercy, you are a Christian, your name is Jacob,” he said.
Justice Banjoko afterwards sentenced him to 14 years in jail without an option of fine. Dariye wept as she delivered her judgement.
Photos of Ex-Plateau state governor, Joshua Dariye, weeping in court afte his sentence to 14 years imprisonment for N1.1bn fraud