Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • REPORT A STORY
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • CONTACT
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE

Suspected Boko Haram terrorists attack parts of Yobe

by Adejayan Gbenga Gsong
December 22, 2019
in Metro
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Boko Haram members

Boko Haram members

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Nigerian military successfully repelled a Boko Haram attack on Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, an official has said.

There was panic in Damaturu as loud gunshots and artillery fire rented the air.

Residents rushed into their houses and businesses closed hurriedly on Sunday evening while the attack occurred.

While speaking on the attack, the spokesman of Sector II of Operation Lafiya Dole, Damaturu, Njoka Irabor, told newsmen that “the insurgents made an attempt to enter Damaturu from the northern flank of the town but were given a heavy blow by both air and ground troops.”

READ ALSO

Lady alleges rape in Lagos Apartment: Investigation Updates and Key Questions

N2.4bn Fraud: Ex-Nexim MD, Robert Orya’s Trip to 490 Years Sentence

Inside the ongoing controversy over Makoko demolition and 10,000 Lives displaced

How Long Can Anambra Survive the Sit-at-Home Market Shutdown?

Enugu: Family In Pains As 26-Year-Old Twin Member Goes Missing

Mr Irabor, an army captain, said Sunday night that Damaturu was now calm and “details of the attack will be relayed by tomorrow”.

While the attack on Damaturu occurred, scores of vehicles trying to get to the town were stranded as the army blocked the roads leading into the town.

Witnesses said more than 200 vehicles were stranded including the Borno State governor’s convoy along Damaturu-Maiduguri highway.

Some journalists who were part of the governor’s convoy told newsmen that over 200 vehicles including commercial and private cars were held up at the entrance of Damaturu town at about 9 p.m.

Governor Babagana Zulum was, however, not in the convoy, which was said to be travelling to Gombe where it would be joined by the Borno governor for a tour of Southern Borno.

Travellers, who are also stranded on the road, said they have been there since 3.00 p.m. on Sunday.

“We arrived this place since 3.00 p.m. and realised that the road is closed by the soldiers. They did not give us any explanation until we started getting information that Boko Haram are trying to attack Damaturu,”.

“we are not safe staying here on this road. It’s risky for us. Can the soldiers protect us sleeping on this road,” they said on Sunday night.

A commercial driver, Abdullahi Shehu, travelling to Kaduna via Kano said most of his passengers, including children and their parents are travelling for Christmas.

Recall that the first attack occurred early last month a few days after the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, visited Yobe.

It was alleged that the insurgents wanted to steal the 30 Hilux vehicles that Yobe governor Mala Buni donated to security operatives in the state.

Sunday’s attack was however more scary to residents as heavy shelling of artillery guns and rocket launchers, as well as sporadic gunshots, were heard around the city.

RELATED STORYPosts

Lady Mirabel's rape claims at Lagos apartment
Metro

Lady alleges rape in Lagos Apartment: Investigation Updates and Key Questions

by Samuel David
February 18, 2026
Metro

N2.4bn Fraud: Ex-Nexim MD, Robert Orya’s Trip to 490 Years Sentence

by Sodiq Lawal Chocomilo
February 9, 2026

Discussion about this post

JUST IN

Electoral Act Amendment: APC and the illusion of progressivism

by Afolabi Hakim
15:50 Feb 18, 2026

On Monday, the lower chamber, the House of Representatives, and the upper…

WITHIN NIGERIA

WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD.

NEWS, MULTI MEDIA

WITHIN NIGERIA is an online news media that focuses on authoritative reports, investigations and major headlines that springs from National issues, Politics, Metro, Entertainment; and Articles.

Follow us on social media:

CORPORATE LINKS

  • About
  • Contacts
  • Report a story
  • Advertisement
  • Content Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
 
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • WHO IS WITHIN NIGERIA?
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY
  • TERMS

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName