- Ekiti Election Result: Fayemi wins as overall result emerge online
- World Cup: For the first time since 1990 England qualifies for semi-finals after beating Sweden 2-0
- Former CBN governor, Adamu Ciroma is dead
- Court orders NASS to begin impeachment process against Buhari
- Gunmen shot seven policemen dead in Abuja
- Arms Deal: Court grants Dasuki N200m bail after 30 months of detention in DSS Custody
- Another tanker fire accident along Suleja-Minna road, five confirmed injured
- Another Nigerian Celebrity, Deacon Famous, loses son
- Angry youths take over Plateau Government House over Killings, violent protests turn bloody
- Plateau Killings: Commissioner of Police sacked with immediate effect
Mayweather escape assassination, bodyguard shot, wounded in Atlanta
A bodyguard for Floyd Mayweather was wounded when a gunman in a vehicle opened fire on the boxer’s motorcade.
Mayweather’s entourage was travelling through an Atlanta intersection early on Monday, police said.
Mayweather was not in the vehicle that was fired upon and was not injured in the incident, a spokesman for the Atlanta Police Department said.
Mayweather’s bodyguard Gregory LaRosa, who was shot in the leg, was released from the hospital three hours after the shooting.
Mayweather’s entourage attended a nightclub earlier in the evening and were in three SUVs after leaving a dinner at 2 am
A vehicle pulled up to the SUVs in an intersection and a gunman inside opened fire, striking LaRosa in the lower leg.
LaRosa was immediately taken to a hospital, Atlanta Police Department spokesman Donald Hannah told a news conference.
Police believe the shooter was familiar with the entourage or the group of vehicles. Police are not sure if anything happened earlier in the evening that led to the shooting.
Mayweather, who said he has retired, was in Atlanta to promote a boxing event in Las Vegas on Saturday night, ESPN reported.
The 41-year-old boxer beat mixed martial arts champion Conor McGregor to send his record to a 50-0 in August.