- Breaking: Abducted ex-minister’s son, Dayo Adewole, regains freedom
- Breaking: Buhari returns Ahmed Idris as AGF
- Breaking: Luis Enrique resigns as Spain’s coach
- Breaking: Fire guts Benue’s largest market
- Breaking: Buhari signs Polytechnic, National Institute for Security bills into law
- JUST IN: Rufus Giwa Poly shut down indefinitely
- Just in: Buhari, APC govs meet in Aso Rock
- Breaking: Former Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi dies in court
- Breaking: AA suspends Okorocha‘s in-law
- JUST IN: INEC announces automatic employment for Outstanding corps members
I’m only a ‘picker’ one out of ten Yahoo boys arrested in Port Harcourt confesses
The Port Harcourt’s Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested ten suspected Internet fraudsters popularly known as Yahoo Boys in Nigeria and Sakawa Boys in Ghana
They were arrested in different locations and at different times across Port Harcourt (Rivers State), Warri (Delta State) and Asaba (Delta State) in a sting operation.
The suspects are: Alia Jamike Chinemerem; Ogbiugba Ifeany Henry; Uchanna Cyril; Samuel Obomovo; Israel Ogagaoghene; Israel Diaso; Aghariagbonse Destiny; Aretuemhen Frank, Paul Esibhakpen and Loius Idehen.
Investigations showed that the suspects were involved in love scam with many of them purporting to be officers of American Army.
Various scam mails where the suspects posed as officers of US Army were traced to them. One of the suspects, Israel Diasco had successfully defrauded an Indian lady, Promilla Lama of huge amount of money still being verified. Another, Chinemerem, (alias Good Thaddy) confessed to be a picker.
A picker is a fraudster that provides foreign accounts to other Internet fraudsters which they usually use to receive money from any unfortunate victim. A picker is allegedly paid 30% of the total amount received in any of such accounts.
Meanwhile, the Port Harcourt’s Zonal Office has secured 33 convictions so far in 2018. This was disclosed on Thursday, 20thDecember, 2018 by the Zonal Head, Mr. Nnaghe Obono Itam in a News Conference in Port Harcourt.
Also, a total sum of N1, 674, 891, 899( One Billion, Six Hundred and Seventy Four Million, Eight Hundred and Ninety One Thousand, Eight Hundred and Ninety Nine Naira) only had been recovered during the period. Also recovered were various sums of $ 552, 368. 55 (Five Hundred and Fifty Two Million, Three Hundred and Sixty Eight Thousand, Fifty Five Dollars) and 5, 225 Euros.
You may like to read; Female Armed robbers engage police in fierce gun battle in Anambra