- BREAKING: Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s case against Fatoyinbo
- BREAKING: APC has no guber candidate for Bayelsa election, Court declares
- BREAKING: Scores feared dead, many injured as PDP, APC supporters clash in Bayelsa
- BREAKING: We are ready to release Sowore – DSS
- BREAKING: Barely 24hrs after Oshiomhole Suspension, Edo APC suspends Edo Governor, Godwin Obaseki, Deputy Gov, SSG
- BREAKING: DSS disperses protesters seeking Sowore’s release
- BREAKING: Court threatens to strike out charge against Diezani
- BREAKING: Bayelsa APC deputy guber candidate disqualified
- Confusion as Appeal Court rules on Oyo guber poll
- BREAKING: Tam David-West dies at 83
$12m Fraud: Obinwanne Okeke Arrives Court Without A Lawyer, Court Gives Him One
Obinwanne Okeke, the CEO of Invictus Group got an attorney with the United States Federal Public Defender in Eastern District of Virginia to defend him after he failed to show up in court with a lawyer for the commencement of his trial on two counts of conspiracy to commit computer fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud.
The Forbes-rated young Nigerian ‘billionaire’ was arrested on August 6 in Alexandria, Virginia. His arrest came after the FBI’s painstaking investigation upon receiving a petition from Unatrac over unauthorized access by an “unidentified” individual who sent out an email with a fake invoice to the purchasing department, defrauding the company of $12m.
Mr. Okeke was first arraigned before Magistrate Theresa Buchanan on August 7, after the FBI team led by Marshall Ward also found out that he duped an American shoe manufacturer and used several e-mail accounts which have previously been linked to fraudulent activities online and flagged in the F.B.I. database.
He was granted a request to seeing a public health dental hygienist on the first day of his trial. Though it is not clear how long he has been having issues with his teeth, however, the US magistrate ruled that the doctor must attend to the suspected fraudster in custody.