- BREAKING: FG approves $5.3bn for Ibadan-Kano rail project
- BREAKING: Tribunal uphold Ayade’s victory
- Breaking: Nigerians who fled South Africa over xenophobic attacks arrive in Lagos
- BREAKING: Presidential tribunal upholds Buhari’s election, dismisses PDP petitions in its entirety
- BREAKING: No evidence in INEC electronically transmitted results to server, Court rules
- BREAKING: Immigration hurdles delay arrival of 317 Nigerians from South Africa
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s motion against Atiku’s lead counsel
- Breaking: FUOYE suspends Students’ Union, shuts campus
- BREAKING: Shi’ites bow to pressure, hold 30-minute procession
- BREAKING: Tribunal sacks APC Senator, Orji Kalu
$12m Fraud: Obinwanne Okeke Arrives Court Without A Lawyer, Court Gives Him One
Obinwanne Okeke, the CEO of Invictus Group got an attorney with the United States Federal Public Defender in Eastern District of Virginia to defend him after he failed to show up in court with a lawyer for the commencement of his trial on two counts of conspiracy to commit computer fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud.
The Forbes-rated young Nigerian ‘billionaire’ was arrested on August 6 in Alexandria, Virginia. His arrest came after the FBI’s painstaking investigation upon receiving a petition from Unatrac over unauthorized access by an “unidentified” individual who sent out an email with a fake invoice to the purchasing department, defrauding the company of $12m.
Mr. Okeke was first arraigned before Magistrate Theresa Buchanan on August 7, after the FBI team led by Marshall Ward also found out that he duped an American shoe manufacturer and used several e-mail accounts which have previously been linked to fraudulent activities online and flagged in the F.B.I. database.
He was granted a request to seeing a public health dental hygienist on the first day of his trial. Though it is not clear how long he has been having issues with his teeth, however, the US magistrate ruled that the doctor must attend to the suspected fraudster in custody.