Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • REPORT A STORY
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • CONTACT
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)
No Result
View All Result
WITHIN NIGERIA
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE

BREAKING: Dasuki makes first court appearance after release from detention

by Adejayan Gbenga Gsong
January 23, 2020
in BREAKING, National
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki (rtd), on Thursday, appeared in a Federal High Court, Abuja, for his trial on charges of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms instituted against him by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF).

Mr Dasuki, who made his first court appearance, after his release from a four-year-long detention, before Justice Ahmed Mohammed, withdrew two separate applications which he filed in protest against his trial while being kept in illegal custody.

The ex-NSA, at the proceeding, decided to remain standing in the dock even when the judge offered that he should sit down.

News Agency of Nigeria reports that there are two separate sets of charges of alleged diversion of funds earmarked for procurement of arms meant for fighting Boko Haram in the North East pending against him at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in Abuja.

READ ALSO

BRIEFING: A guide to the holy month of Ramadan 2026 in 10 key points

World Bank cuts funding to the Central Bank of Nigeria – What changed behind the scenes

Petrol War: How Nigerian Retailers recently slashed Pump Prices

2025 Nigeria TI Corruption Index Rating: Socioeconomic Impacts On The Country

What Students must do before sitting for CB‑WASSCE in 2026

However, neither of the two other cases had come up since December 24, 2019, when he was released from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).

At the resumed hearing on Thursday, Mr Dasuki, through his counsel, Olukayode Ariwoola, withdrew his two separate applications filed in protest against his continued detention.

Mr Ariwoola said that they had been overtaken by the event of the release of his client.

“My lord, we have two pending applications before this court. One is dated December 11, 2018 and the other is dated January 8, 2019.

“The two applications have been overtaken by event because our client was released on December 24, 2019.

“In the circumstance, we apply to withdraw the applications,” he said.

Responding, the prosecution counsel, Dipo Okpeseyi, said he had no objection to the request to have the applications withdrawn.

The judge subsequently struck out the applications and adjourned till March 11 and 12 for the continuation of trial.

NAN reports that Mr Dasuki, in the application filed on December 11, 2018, had sought an order to adjourn indefinitely his trial and/or further trial in the case pending compliance by the AGF with the court’s judgment delivered by Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu on July 2, 2018.

Also, in the other application filed on January 8, 2019, Mr Dasuki had urged Justice Mohammed to invite some senior lawyers, including the current and two past presidents of the Nigerian Bar Association, to address issues relating to his detention.

RELATED STORYPosts

Muslims pray on the first day of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, outside the Central Mosque in Moscow on April 21, 2023. (Photo by Alexander NEMENOV / AFP)
National

BRIEFING: A guide to the holy month of Ramadan 2026 in 10 key points

by Abdulsalam Abdullahi Opeyemi
February 21, 2026
Central Bank of Nigeria and World Bank
National

World Bank cuts funding to the Central Bank of Nigeria – What changed behind the scenes

by Samuel David
February 19, 2026

Discussion about this post

JUST IN

Terrorists kill 34 in Kebbi attack

by Afolabi Hakim
16:11 Feb 19, 2026

No fewer than 34 people lost their lives after terrorists suspected to…

WITHIN NIGERIA

WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD.

NEWS, MULTI MEDIA

WITHIN NIGERIA is an online news media that focuses on authoritative reports, investigations and major headlines that springs from National issues, Politics, Metro, Entertainment; and Articles.

Follow us on social media:

CORPORATE LINKS

  • About
  • Contacts
  • Report a story
  • Advertisement
  • Content Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
 
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • WHO IS WITHIN NIGERIA?
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY
  • TERMS

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • FEATURES
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • MORE
    • VIDEOS
    • GIST
    • PIECE (ARTICLES)

© 2022 WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. designed by WebAndName