TRENDING IN 48-Hrs

BREAKING: Dasuki makes first court appearance after release from detention

A former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki (rtd), on Thursday, appeared in a Federal High Court, Abuja, for his trial on charges of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms instituted against him by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF).

Mr Dasuki, who made his first court appearance, after his release from a four-year-long detention, before Justice Ahmed Mohammed, withdrew two separate applications which he filed in protest against his trial while being kept in illegal custody.

The ex-NSA, at the proceeding, decided to remain standing in the dock even when the judge offered that he should sit down.

News Agency of Nigeria reports that there are two separate sets of charges of alleged diversion of funds earmarked for procurement of arms meant for fighting Boko Haram in the North East pending against him at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in Abuja.

However, neither of the two other cases had come up since December 24, 2019, when he was released from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).

At the resumed hearing on Thursday, Mr Dasuki, through his counsel, Olukayode Ariwoola, withdrew his two separate applications filed in protest against his continued detention.

Mr Ariwoola said that they had been overtaken by the event of the release of his client.

“My lord, we have two pending applications before this court. One is dated December 11, 2018 and the other is dated January 8, 2019.

“The two applications have been overtaken by event because our client was released on December 24, 2019.

“In the circumstance, we apply to withdraw the applications,” he said.

Responding, the prosecution counsel, Dipo Okpeseyi, said he had no objection to the request to have the applications withdrawn.

The judge subsequently struck out the applications and adjourned till March 11 and 12 for the continuation of trial.

NAN reports that Mr Dasuki, in the application filed on December 11, 2018, had sought an order to adjourn indefinitely his trial and/or further trial in the case pending compliance by the AGF with the court’s judgment delivered by Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu on July 2, 2018.

Also, in the other application filed on January 8, 2019, Mr Dasuki had urged Justice Mohammed to invite some senior lawyers, including the current and two past presidents of the Nigerian Bar Association, to address issues relating to his detention.

MOST READ TODAY

SUBSCRIBE TO Within Nigeria ON GOOGLE NEWS

MOST READ TODAY

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More