- JUST IN: Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu Stoned By Angry Igbo Men in Nuremberg Germany (Video)
- BREAKING: Police arrest suspected murders of Enugu Catholic Priest
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife back by noon, says IMN
- BREAKING: Atiku’s son-in-law gets N20m bail
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Obono-Obla, gives reason
- BREAKING: Another pastor kidnapped in Kaduna, abductors give family 5 days ultimatum
- BREAKING: Alleged money laundering: EFCC arraigns Atiku’s son-in-law, lawyer
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife not safe in Indian hospital, says IMN
- Breaking: Soldier finally arraigned for allegedly raping Ondo undergraduate
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife moved to Abuja
Why I Wanted Liverpool To Beat Madrid In UCL Final – Barcelona Star, Lionel Messi
Argentina captain, Lionel Messi, who is currently in Russia with his team for the 2018 World Cup, has revealed that he was rooting for Liverpool to beat Real Madrid in the final of last season’s UEFA Champions League.
Barcelona’s rivals, Real Madrid beat Liverpool 3-1 in Kiev, Ukraine to win the competition for a third successive year and a record 13th title.
The Catalan giants were knocked out in the quarter-finals of the competition by Roma in dramatic fashion.
When asked who he backed to win the final, Messi replied: ”I want to win. What the other teams do doesn’t interest me,” he told Sport.
“As a Barcelona player, and when we’re not [left] in a competition, I never want our main rival to win. But, first of all, I want to win myself.”
And when asked if he watched the final, the five-time FIFA Player of the Year stated he only saw highlights due to time difference.
“Just bits, to be honest. Not because I didn’t want to but because we were in Argentina and the time isn’t the same. I saw the highlights and everything that happened.”
Messi and his Argentina teammates who are already in Russia ahead of this year’s FIFA World Cup, are drawn in Group D with Nigeria, Croatia and Iceland.