- BREAKING: Tribunal upholds election of Gov. Makinde
- BREAKING: South African envoys designated to beg Nigerians arrive Abuja
- BREAKING: FG approves $5.3bn for Ibadan-Kano rail project
- BREAKING: Tribunal uphold Ayade’s victory
- Breaking: Nigerians who fled South Africa over xenophobic attacks arrive in Lagos
- BREAKING: Presidential tribunal upholds Buhari’s election, dismisses PDP petitions in its entirety
- BREAKING: No evidence in INEC electronically transmitted results to server, Court rules
- BREAKING: Immigration hurdles delay arrival of 317 Nigerians from South Africa
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s motion against Atiku’s lead counsel
- Breaking: FUOYE suspends Students’ Union, shuts campus
Kerosene explosion kills one, injures two others in Edo
One person has reportedly died in a kerosene explosion in the Egor Local Government Area of Edo State.
It was gathered that the incident, which occurred at the Evbuotubu Market on Tuesday, left two others injured.
It was learnt that the victim, identified as Mama Chichi, a kerosene trader, had lit a match over a gallon containing the product to confirm its genuineness, when it exploded.
It was also learnt that the explosion created an inferno that destroyed many shops.
The Director of the Edo State Fire Service, Mr. Franklyn Agbonlahor, said there was no record that anybody died in the explosion.
He said, “Our men responded promptly. We invited other fire agencies and they were there.”
However, some of the traders claimed that the kerosene was purchased from some operators of illegal refineries in the state.
A trader, who identified herself as Patience, said the buyer who asked the trader to test the kerosene fled when the explosion occurred.
Patience said, “When the thing (substance) exploded, all of us ran away, including the man that asked the woman to test the kerosene. The woman died in a hospital.”