- BREAKING: Buhari receives Lyon in Aso Rock
- BREAKING: APC floors PDP in Bayelsa guber poll, obtains over 200,000 votes
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Enugu Catholic Priest regains freedom
- BREAKING: INEC official abducted in Lokoja
- BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu begins payment of N35, 000 Minimum wage to Lagos workers
- BREAKING: Buhari on his way back to Nigeria
- BREAKING: Yola Varsity Chaplain, Prof Felix Ilesani, kidnapped
- BREAKING: Former Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele is dead
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
Onions, Salt, Groundnut Oil Shared In Exchange For Votes At Kogi state Bye-Elections (Photos)
This is according to reporter Isimi Odeh who’s currently in the state to give live updates.
See his post below
Daily Post also reported that the bye-election to fill the vacant seat for Kogi/Koto-Karfe Federal Constituency, was also characterized by buying of votes from the electorate. At some polling units visited in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital, some political parties were spotted inducing voters with money ranging from N3,000, N5000, N10,000, to win their votes.
Voters, who could not get physical cash, were given food items such as onions, tomato paste all packed inside a small bag crested with the insignia of the party they were expected to vote for during the exercise. There was however massive turnout of voters and huge deployment of security operatives for a hitch-free exercise.
Polling units such as Lokoja Local Government secretariat, Bishop Crowther School, Lokoja Ward C, Yaraji open space, Felele primary school, and Inuwa Ndagaza, all had their fair share of vote buying.
At Inuwa Ndagaza polling unit, which happens to be the polling unit of the immediate former Speaker, who is contesting under the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Alfa Umar Ahmed, a senatorial aspirant for Kogi West under the ruling party was allegedly spotted at the polling unit alongside some security operatives in an hilux van wooing people to vote for the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.
It was however said that the aspirant was chased out of the polling unit, when it was discovered that he was distributing money to some electorate to vote for the ruling party in the state.