- Breaking: Jigawa Speaker Hon. Idris Garba, Chief Whip and Majority Leader impeached at the same time
- BREAKING: VC of Kwara State University sacked with immediate effect
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force Pilot, Air Commodore Udenyi killed in Lagos while awaiting promotion to Air Vice Marshall
- Breaking: Taraba State permanent secretary, Susana Jonathan kidnapped by gunmen
- BREAKING: Former Head of State, Yakubu Gowon slumps in Delta State during ‘military salute’ at a graveside
- Breaking: Kano State Government sacks all permanent secretaries
- Breaking: UBEC chairman, daughter regain Freedom
- BREAKING: UBEC chairman, daughter kidnapped along Kaduna-Abuja expressway, Driver shot dead
- BREAKING: Explosion rocks Ondo, 5 oil wells on fire
- Buhari extends appointment of acting CJN, Muhammad
NFF, Rohr pressure Moses to reverse retirement
The 27-year-old, who represented the country at the Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018 World Cups, said he decided to call time on his international career
Chelsea wingback Victor Moses has reportedly come under pressure from Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr and the Nigeria Football Federation to reverse his international retirement.
Our correspondent learnt that Moses’ shock announcement from the Super Eagles last week caught Rohr, many of his teammates and fans by surprise.
The 27-year-old, who represented the country at the Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018 World Cups, said he decided to call time on his international career to enable him to focus on his club career and his family.
The South Africa 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner said in a statement on his Twitter handle he informed Rohr of his decision “by telephone”.
And the NFF General Secretary Sanusi Mohammed was quoted as saying “the football house is talking with him (Moses) to find out the reason and if possible convince him to rescind his decision for the sake of the country”.
It was learnt that Rohr and his employers had been trying to persuade the former England junior international to change his mind despite the leadership crisis in the national football house, which has seen Chris Giwa locked in a battle with Amaju Pinnick over the true leader of Nigerian football. But the Federal Government on Monday recognised Pinnick as president of the NFF. The announcement saved the country from FIFA hammer.
Sources claim Moses is not happy with the bad press for the country over the power struggle over the leadership of the NFF and decided to quit.
However, our correspondent learnt that the former Wigan player, who represented England at the South Korea 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup won by Nigeria, is digging his heels in.
Rohr said on Thursday he would continue his talks with the player.
“We spoke already and I hope that his decision is not definitive,” the veteran German manager was quoted by KweséESPN as saying.
“I think it depends on his motivation. If he really wants to commit himself again, he is welcome.
“Maybe the chance to win the Africa Cup of Nations is motivation. We will see.”
Moses scored 12 times in his 37 appearances for Nigeria, and provided a constant and potent threat for the Super Eagles whenever he played.