- BREAKING: Nollywood Movie Director Ifeanyi Onyeabor Dies
- BREAKING: Fire outbreak destroys multi-million properties in Ibadan, Residents laments delayed Fire Service
- Photo of Ex-lawmaker, Igbo leader, Anthony Igboka who was assassinated in Anambra
- BREAKING: Tanker explodes in Gombe, kills 10 (photos)
- Many feared dead as armed robbers attack only Bank in Ondo Community
- BREAKING: Owerri Airport on fire, cause yet unknown (video)
- Maiduguri Bomb blast: Death toll hits 5, 30 others injured
- Suspended CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen finally resigns
- BREAKING: PDP wins all three Senatorial Districts in Rivers
- Trouble for BIAFRA as Court orders Nnamdi Kanu’s arrest
2019 Elections: Police to withdraw over 20,000 security aides of VIPs
The Nigeria Police Force has announced plans to withdraw officers attached to ‘Very Important Persons’ in preparation for the forthcoming elections.
ACP Frank Mba, Force Public Relations Officer in an interview with Punch newspaper said politicians would be affected by the recall because the force needs every officer to maintain peace and security at the coming elections.
Mba said: “the withdrawal of policemen is going to cut across all borders, including politicians, party chairmen, state commissioners and businessmen. It will affect everyone that has policemen attached to them.
“There are two basic rationales for the withdrawal of policemen; One, we need all hands on deck for the purpose of securing the electoral process. Number two, we also need to be proactive in ensuring that unscrupulous people do not hide under the cover of security or policemen providing security to create problems during the elections. These are some of the reasons we need to mop up as many policemen as possible.”
Mohammed Adamu, Acting Inspector-General of Police, had on Wednesday stated that the force would provide security for observers, escort sensitive materials, as well as to protect critical national assets during the elections.
“In order to ensure full mobilisation and deployment of personnel for these duties, we shall in the coming days prune down or order the withdrawal of SPU and CTU operatives that are currently on non-essential duties including those attached to certain categories of personalities” he said.