- Breaking: Senate President, Ahmad Lawan withdraws appointment of media aide, Festus Adedayo
- Breaking: Tension in Bauchi Assembly as two Speakers emerge
- Breaking: Buhari appoints new GMD for NNPC
- Breaking: Abducted ex-minister’s son, Dayo Adewole, regains freedom
- Breaking: Buhari returns Ahmed Idris as AGF
- Breaking: Luis Enrique resigns as Spain’s coach
- Breaking: Fire guts Benue’s largest market
- Breaking: Buhari signs Polytechnic, National Institute for Security bills into law
- JUST IN: Rufus Giwa Poly shut down indefinitely
- Just in: Buhari, APC govs meet in Aso Rock
Outrage as INEC abandons NYSC members outside polling units
Nigerian celebrities have joined trail of reactions over viral pictures of National Youth Service Corps members sleeping in open areas ahead of the 2019 presidential election.
Pictures making the rounds online showed that some of the ad-hoc staff who are due to work in the 2019 presidential elections, had to sleep outside without protection and proper accommodation.
The viral picture which emerged on Saturday morning also had Corps members sleeping on mats.
The pictures have since stirred reactions from other Corps members, and most online users as they lamented poor arrangement by INEC and its officials.
Here are some comments gathered from celebrities on their social media pages:
@Omonioboli “My heart goes out to the youth corpers who had to travel to different polling stations, had to sleep on the ground plus I heard their meager allowance for the work was even cut! May your labour not be in vain in Jesus name.”
@Omotola Ekeinde “I still maintain what I said about this NYSC program some years Ago. Is this compulsory? Why do you accept to do this and put yourself in harms way? Why do parents Allow their children do this? INEC is this how you should threat people’s children “serving” Nigeria?
@BankyWellington “While we are all frustrated, please spare a thought for people who are most affected by the postponement… like our corpers who had to spend the night in terrible sleeping conditions, people who had weddings or other milestone occasions planned, etc. May God help us all.”
Alongside picture of Corp members, @Funke Akindele “This is really sad.”
@Bolanle Olukanmi “Disappointed in INEC. Sad for the countless of people that have sacrificed so much to vote. Worried for our youth corpers whose lives seem to not be valued by the government. Tired for Nigeria. It HAS to change. It HAS to and it will!
@Uche Jombo “This is very disappointing INEC, International observers are in Nigeria, youth corpers assigned to you are sleeping on floor.”
@DebolaLagos “Dear INEC , this lack of provision for Corp members demonstrate how prepared you are.”
See more photos below.