- Despite condemning some PDP’s evidences, Tribunal voids Oyetola’s victory, declares Adeleke winner of Osun Governorship Election
- BREAKING: Collation of Bauchi governorship election results stopped by Court
- Video: Another building collapses in Lagos, many trapped!
- At least 100 people feared dead, 200 missing as cyclone hits Mozambique and Zimbabwe
- APC Lawmaker recently elected, Garba Muhammad Butalawa dies in Kano
- Popular Nigerian artist, Okwui Enwezor die of cancer
- Many trapped, injured as another building collapses at Shogoye Bus Stop in Ibadan
- APC Lawmaker, Ezekiel Afon slumps, dies after winning House Of Assembly election in Plateau State
- INEC office burnt down in Imo before announcement of election results
- APC candidate, Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq wins Kwara gubernatorial polls, declared governor-elect
Jussie Smollett Case: New evidence suggests suspects were paid $3,500 to stage the attack
Empire star, Jussie Smollett reportedly paid two men to orchestrate an assault on him that he reported late last month.
According to two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation who spoke to CNN, the actor paid two brothers to stage an attack against him, directed them to buy items used in the alleged assault and rehearsed it with them.
The men, who are brothers, were arrested and questioned by police on Wednesday but released without charges Friday after Chicago police cited the discovery of “new evidence.”
Chicago police spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said:
“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”
They were reportedly paid $3,500 before leaving for Nigeria and were promised an additional $500 upon their return.
They left for Nigeria later in the day on Jan. 29, after the attack.
Police raided the the brothers’ home on Wednesday, the same day police met them at O’Hare International Airport, as they were returning from Nigeria.
The sources stated that there are records that show the two brothers purchased the rope found around Smollett’s neck at a hardware store in Chicago.
One of the brothers reportedly held the rope and poured bleach while the other wore a plain red hat and yelled slurs at Smollett.
The sources say the red hat was bought at an Uptown beauty supply store and that the attack was supposed to happen before Jan. 29. The brothers who are now cooperating with police, stated that the all three of them rehearsed the attack days prior to it happening.