- BREAKING: Senate passes 2020 Appropriation Bill, raises budget to N10.594trn
- BREAKING: Court orders DSS to transfer El-Zakzaky, wife to Kaduna Correctional Centre
- BREAKING: Court orders DSS to release Sowore in 24 hours
- BREAKING: Pipeline explosion at Gloryland Estate, Isheri
- BREAKING: Several injured in Lagos gas explosion
- BREAKING: Senate swears in Smart Adeyemi
- BREAKING: Kidnappers of female students caught, lynched in Bayelsa
- BREAKING: Three female students kidnapped in Bayelsa
- BREAKING: Five inmates in Ikoyi prison electrocuted to death
- BREAKING: Court upholds IGP’s power to recruit
Court terminates charges against late Chief of Defense Staff, Alex Badeh. His estate forfeits $1m, houses to FG
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has terminated the charges against the late Alex Badeh, a former Chief of Defence Staff who was shot dead by yet-to-be-identified gunmen on December 18, 2018, on his way back from his farm in Nasarawa State.
Before his death, Badeh was standing trial alongside Iyalikam Nigeria Limited on an amended 10-count charge bothering on corruption. Giving the ruling today, the presiding judge, Okon Abang, also found Iyalikam Nigeria Limited, which is standing trial alongside Badeh, guilty of the charges of corruption filed against it by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
All properties belonging to Iyalikam Nigeria Limited were also ordered to be forfeited to the Nigerian government.
The judge said: “Having regard to the plea bargain and plea duly taken, I hereby find the defendant Iyalikam Nigeria Limited guilty. The defendant is hereby wound up and this judgement shall be served on the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) for necessary action.
“All properties in line with the 10-count charge are hereby forfeited to the Federal Republic of Nigeria through the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). In view of the fact that the first defendant in the original charge is reported dead, all charges against the first defendant are hereby terminated.”