- Breaking: Confusion as 2 groups stage protests for, against Oyo youngest commissioner
- BREAKING: Ex-Super Falcons player, Ifeanyi Chiejine is dead
- BREAKING: Fatoyinbo snubbed PFN’s investigating panel on rape allegation
- BREAKING: Court dismisses HDP’s petition against Buhari, APC, INEC
- Breaking: Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas
- BREAKING: Buhari remains Minister of Petroleum
- BREAKING: Court adjourns for judgment on Atiku’s petition
- BREAKING: Buhari begins swearing-in of ministers
- BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Atiku, PDP’s request to access ‘INEC server’
- BREAKING: Kogi Deputy Gov. Drags Assembly to court over impeachment notice
The 16-year-old deceased had joined her four other schoolmates at Adeoye Lambo Grammar School to swim in Owiwi Dam, shortly after they finished their end-of-term examination.
The names of the Senior Secondary 1 pupils who went to swim in the river are: Muyibat Akanbi,16; Saubana Kehinde,17; Amidat Yusuf, 16; Ibrahim Akanbi, 16 and Anita Godwin.
It was said that Akanbi and another pupil, Anita Godwin initially refused to swim with others in the river, but were persuaded by their colleagues.
The fun however took a fatal dimension shortly after they jumped into the river, when Muyibat and Anita started drowning.
Sources said that other members of the group, who survived the incident raised the alarm that attracted villagers and operattives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) to the scene.
It was said that Muyibat died before she could be rescued while Anita and three others survived the incident.
It was learnt that the pupils had ignored a message on a signpost placed near the river warning people not to swim in the river.
It was gathered that the remains of Muyibat have since been buried near the river by one of her uncles.
A source said: ‘’Authorities of the school have also warned pupils to desist from going to Owiwi River to swim. It is therefore unfortunate the pupils in question defied the warning by swimming in the river which resulted in the death of one of them.’’
Contacted, the spokesman of Ogun State Police Command, Mr Abimbola Oyeyemi promised to revert to our correspondent. He however did not do so at press time.