- BREAKING: Tribunal nullifies Dino Melaye’s election
- Breaking: Confusion as 2 groups stage protests for, against Oyo youngest commissioner
- BREAKING: Ex-Super Falcons player, Ifeanyi Chiejine is dead
- BREAKING: Fatoyinbo snubbed PFN’s investigating panel on rape allegation
- BREAKING: Court dismisses HDP’s petition against Buhari, APC, INEC
- Breaking: Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas
- BREAKING: Buhari remains Minister of Petroleum
- BREAKING: Court adjourns for judgment on Atiku’s petition
- BREAKING: Buhari begins swearing-in of ministers
- BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Atiku, PDP’s request to access ‘INEC server’
Nigerian man who spent 27 years in prison for crime he didn’t commit, gets released
A 57-year-old year old Nigerian man who spent 27 years in prison for an offence he did not commit is now calling for the reform of the judicial system in Nigeria.
According to reports, the man identified as Clinton Kanu was arrested at the age of 30, and convicted of murder in 1992. From then on, he was remanded in Port Harcourt Maximum Prisons in Rivers state.
His appeal against the lower court judgement dragged on slowly. But eventually he got to the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
There, he got acquitted of the murder charge on the 5th April, 2019. Clinton Kanu suffered for crime he did not commit for 27 years. But while in prison, he continued his education and obtained PhD as he claimed.
Now freed, Clinton Kanu is seeking a reform of the nation’s justice system and the prisons.
His position is from experience. He suffered innocently. Some of his former fellows in prisons are in similar situations. They are serving terms in prison for offences they did not commit.
Some of his relatives who were at the Port Harcourt Maximum Prisons to receive him expressed joy that he is reuniting with his family after twenty seven years. They said the unlawful conviction of their brother brought frustration and anger to the family