- BREAKING: Court orders forfeiture of Saraki’s houses in Ikoyi
- BREAKING: Court Partially Varies Sowore, Bakare’s Bail Conditions, adjourns Case
- Three days after impeachment saga, Edward Onoja sworn-in as Kogi Deputy Governor
- BREAKING: Two critically injured as container falls in Onitsha
- BREAKING: Kogi Assembly confirms Onoja as Yahaya Bello’s deputy
- JUST IN: Seven killed in Gov Obaseki’s convoy accident
- BREAKING: Kogi Deputy Gov Achuba impeached
- BREAKING: Gunshots in Abuja as police disperse protesting Shi’ites
- BREAKING: Again, fuel tanker explodes in Onitsha
- BREAKING: We’ll only register candidate with NIN for 2020 UTME – JAMB
NAPTIP seals 2 brothels in Calabar over under-age prostitutes
The National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, NAPTIP, yesterday, sealed two brothels in Calabar for harbouring under-aged commercial sex workers.
Leader of the NAPTIP operation team, Mr. Godwin Eyake, told newsmen that the operation followed an order of the Federal High Court in Calabar.
“We are carrying out the order of the Federal High Court, Calabar, to seal the brothels pending the determination of criminal investigation against their owners,” he said.
Eyake said the agency had earlier carried out a raid on the brothels after it was discovered that they were harbouring under-aged girls for prostitution.
According to him, “we had taken the owners of the brothels to court and the court ordered the sealing of the brothels pending investigations. So, we are here to carry out the court’s order. It may be temporary or permanent; the court will decide.”
Eyake, who is the Director of Operations, Uyo Command of NAPTIP, described the use of under-aged girls for prostitution as “very sad,” saying the agency was determined to rid the zone of child trafficking and prostitution. “There are many of such brothels in Calabar but with time, we will visit all of them. It is criminal to use under-aged girls for prostitution, whether within Nigeria or outside the country.
“NAPTIP is out for the perpetrators of this ugly act and anybody caught will face the full weight of the law.”