- BREAKING: Court orders forfeiture of Saraki’s houses in Ikoyi
- BREAKING: Court Partially Varies Sowore, Bakare’s Bail Conditions, adjourns Case
- Three days after impeachment saga, Edward Onoja sworn-in as Kogi Deputy Governor
- BREAKING: Two critically injured as container falls in Onitsha
- BREAKING: Kogi Assembly confirms Onoja as Yahaya Bello’s deputy
- JUST IN: Seven killed in Gov Obaseki’s convoy accident
- BREAKING: Kogi Deputy Gov Achuba impeached
- BREAKING: Gunshots in Abuja as police disperse protesting Shi’ites
- BREAKING: Again, fuel tanker explodes in Onitsha
- BREAKING: We’ll only register candidate with NIN for 2020 UTME – JAMB
“Why I converted to Islam” – Paul Pogba opens up
Manchester United midfielder, Paul Pogba has opened up on why he converted to Islam in his twenties.
Although, Pogba’s mother practised Islam, he was not raised that way but the Man UTD man after converting made a pilgrimage to Mecca during the holy month of Ramadan.
Pogba on why he decided to be a Muslim in an interview with The Times’ new Life Times podcast said he felt really good after praying with his friends once.
“IT CAME BECAUSE I HAVE A LOT OF FRIENDS WHO ARE MUSLIM. WE ALWAYS TALK. “I WAS QUESTIONING MYSELF IN A LOT OF THINGS, THEN I STARTED DOING MY OWN RESEARCH. I PRAYED ONCE WITH MY FRIENDS AND I FELT SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I FELT REALLY GOOD. “SINCE THAT DAY I JUST CARRIED ON. YOU HAVE TO PRAY FIVE TIMES A DAY, THAT’S ONE OF THE PILLARS OF ISLAM. IT’S SOMETHING THAT YOU DO. “THE MEANING WHY YOU DO IT – YOU ASK FORGIVENESS AND BE THANKFUL FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE, LIKE MY HEALTH AND EVERYTHING. “IT’S REALLY A RELIGION THAT OPENED MY MIND AND THAT MAKES ME, MAYBE, A BETTER PERSON. YOU THINK MORE ABOUT THE AFTERLIFE.
“THIS LIFE HAS A TEST. LIKE WHEN I’M WITH YOU, HERE. EVEN IF YOU’RE NOT A MUSLIM, YOU ARE A NORMAL HUMAN. YOU HAVE A HUMAN RELATIONSHIP AND RESPECT YOU FOR WHO YOU ARE, WHAT RELIGION YOU ARE, WHAT COLOUR AND EVERYTHING. “ISLAM IS JUST THIS – RESPECT OF THE HUMANITY AND EVERYTHING.”
Pogba speaking on how being a Muslima has meant to him.. he said,
“IT’S EVERYTHING. THAT’S WHAT MAKES ME THANKFUL FOR EVERYTHING. “IT MADE ME CHANGE, REALISE THINGS IN LIFE. I GUESS, MAYBE, IT MAKES ME MORE PEACEFUL INSIDE. “IT WAS A GOOD CHANGE IN MY LIFE BECAUSE I WASN’T BORN A MUSLIM, EVEN IF MY MUM WAS. I JUST GREW UP LIKE THAT, RESPECT FOR EVERYONE. “ISLAM IS NOT THE IMAGE THAT EVERYONE SEES – TERRORISM… WHAT WE HEAR IN THE MEDIA IS REALLY SOMETHING ELSE. (ISLAM IS) SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL. “YOU GET TO KNOW IT. ANYBODY CAN FIND THAT HE FEELS CONNECTED WITH ISLAM.”