- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
- JUST IN: IPOB ‘attacks’ Rotimi Amaechi in Spain
- BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu loses father
Fans Honour 10th Anniversary Of Michael Jackson’s Death
Jackson passed away on June 25, 2009
Michael Jackson’s fans have paid tribute to the late pop star on the 10th anniversary of his demise as requested by his estate representatives.
In a statement issued by the King of Pop’s estate in commemorating his decade of passing, he was referred to as ‘gifted artist and extraordinary humanitarian’ who lives on through ‘his influence embedded in dance, fashion, art and music of the moment’.
“United in grief, the world wept not only at the loss of an artistic genius but at the void left by the loss of a father, son and brother.
“A decade later, Michael Jackson is still with us, his influence embedded in dance, fashion, art and music of the moment. He is more important than ever. But the true measure of Michael was his giving to others, which came in many forms. He comforted the unfortunate at hospitals, in long term care facilities and at halfway houses.
“He equipped Neverland Ranch with medical facilities to accommodate patients seeking refuge from their lonely hospital rooms, and thousands came. He visited troops on bases around the world serving their country. Guinness World Records acknowledged his efforts with an award for Most Charities Supported by a Pop Star,” the statement read in part.
The press release went on to ask fans to mark his passing by “planting a tree, volunteering at a shelter, cleaning up a public space or helping someone who is lost find their way,” which they did according to Associated Press.
AP reported that fans plan to gather at Jackson’s last home in the Holmby Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles, where he received a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol before being declared dead at a nearby hospital. They will also attend a vigil at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California, where the singer was laid to rest, and others plan to visit Jackson’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Thousands also shared their memories of the Billie Jean hitmaker on social media, including his nephew Taj, who thanked well-wishers for focusing on the popstar’s legacy rather than the controversy around the recent documentary Leaving Neverland, in which two men claimed Jackson abused them as children.
“I’m so happy to read people’s positive tweets about my uncle,” he wrote on Twitter. “This has really helped me with my grieving. It also feels good to know that most people are seeing thru all the fake bs (bulls**t).”
On June 25, 2009, Jackson passed away from prescription drug intoxication while preparing for a comeback concert residency in London. He was 50 years.
See more images below;