- BREAKING: DSS disperses protesters seeking Sowore’s release
- BREAKING: Court threatens to strike out charge against Diezani
- BREAKING: Bayelsa APC deputy guber candidate disqualified
- Confusion as Appeal Court rules on Oyo guber poll
- BREAKING: Tam David-West dies at 83
- BREAKING: Petrol tanker burst into flame at Ipaja Road in Lagos State
- Akpabio triumphs as Appeal Court orders rerun in one local govt
- BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Adeyeye, declares Olujimi winner
- BREAKING: Sowore meets bail conditions, to be released from DSS today
- Lagos Fire: Burning building collapses, kills policeman
Tension in Owerri as heavy downpours halt commerical activities
Tension in Owerri as vehicles submerged, commercial activities halted owing to heavy downpour on Friday in Imo state.
The downpour which lasted over two hours unsettled activities in the metropolis as many traders scampered for safety.
Areas affected by the flood were Bank road, Mbari, Douglas, Akwakuma, Orji, Control post and Item street.
Most vehicles that were submerged were those that had been parked along the road before the rain. However, some moving vehicles were also stuck in the flash flood.
The development caused gridlock in the state capital.
Steve Osuji, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Emeka Ihedioha reacting to the aftermath of the rains said, “The problem is deep no doubt. Eight years of environmental degradation left Imo, a disaster zone. But the rightful men are on the job.
“The Owerri underground drainage master plan which was abandoned is being excavated. Soon Owerri shall be the cleanest again. “