- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
- JUST IN: IPOB ‘attacks’ Rotimi Amaechi in Spain
- BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu loses father
- BREAKING: DSS attempts to rearrest Sowore in court (VIDEO)
The Court of Appeal in Lagos has ordered the continuation of the petitions filed by the defeated governorship candidates of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) in Lagos State, Chief Owolabi Salis, and his Labour Party counterpart Ifagbemi Awamaridi challenging the victory of Babajide Sanwo-Olu at the March 9 guber election.
In a unanimous decision, a five-man panel of the court ordered the Lagos State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal to continue hearing of the petition.
“From the record, it is clear that the tribunal was wrong to have declared the petition as an abandoned petition.
“The case is to be remitted to the lower court for expeditious hearing of the matter,” the court held on Owolabi’s appeal.
The appellate court also found merit in a related but separate appeal by the Labour Party Ifagbemi Awamaridi challenging the dismissal of its appeal against the victory of Sanwo-Olu as Governor of Lagos State.
It also ordered an expeditious retrial.