- BREAKING: Scores feared dead, many injured as PDP, APC supporters clash in Bayelsa
- BREAKING: We are ready to release Sowore – DSS
- BREAKING: Barely 24hrs after Oshiomhole Suspension, Edo APC suspends Edo Governor, Godwin Obaseki, Deputy Gov, SSG
- BREAKING: DSS disperses protesters seeking Sowore’s release
- BREAKING: Court threatens to strike out charge against Diezani
- BREAKING: Bayelsa APC deputy guber candidate disqualified
- Confusion as Appeal Court rules on Oyo guber poll
- BREAKING: Tam David-West dies at 83
- BREAKING: Petrol tanker burst into flame at Ipaja Road in Lagos State
- Akpabio triumphs as Appeal Court orders rerun in one local govt
FIFA announces shortlist for Puskas Award [Full List]
Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Zlatan Ibrahimovic of LA Galaxy, are two of the notable names shortlisted by FIFA for this year’s Puskas Award on Monday.
Crystal Palace winger, Andros Townsend’s stunning volley against Manchester City at the Etihad last term, is also one of the 10 contenders announced by the world football governing body.
Townsend’s effort was the Premier League goal of the season in 2018/2019, as awarded by Match of the Day.
He is listed alongside Messi, who scored a stunning chip against Real Betis in the La Liga back in March.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s acrobatic volley for LA Galaxy against Toronto last September is also included, as is a remarkable mid-air backheel by Sampdoria’s Fabio Quagliarella.
Voting for the winner ends on September 1 and will decide the top three strikes, with a panel of FIFA legends then deciding on the overall winner.
1. Matheus Cunha
2. Daniel Zsori
3. Juan Fernando Quintero
4. Lionel Messi
5. Andros Townsend
6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
7. Amy Rodriguez
8. Ajara Nchout
9. Billie Simpson