- BREAKING: FG approves $5.3bn for Ibadan-Kano rail project
- BREAKING: Tribunal uphold Ayade’s victory
- Breaking: Nigerians who fled South Africa over xenophobic attacks arrive in Lagos
- BREAKING: Presidential tribunal upholds Buhari’s election, dismisses PDP petitions in its entirety
- BREAKING: No evidence in INEC electronically transmitted results to server, Court rules
- BREAKING: Immigration hurdles delay arrival of 317 Nigerians from South Africa
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s motion against Atiku’s lead counsel
- Breaking: FUOYE suspends Students’ Union, shuts campus
- BREAKING: Shi’ites bow to pressure, hold 30-minute procession
- BREAKING: Tribunal sacks APC Senator, Orji Kalu
FIFA announces shortlist for Puskas Award [Full List]
Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Zlatan Ibrahimovic of LA Galaxy, are two of the notable names shortlisted by FIFA for this year’s Puskas Award on Monday.
Crystal Palace winger, Andros Townsend’s stunning volley against Manchester City at the Etihad last term, is also one of the 10 contenders announced by the world football governing body.
Townsend’s effort was the Premier League goal of the season in 2018/2019, as awarded by Match of the Day.
He is listed alongside Messi, who scored a stunning chip against Real Betis in the La Liga back in March.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s acrobatic volley for LA Galaxy against Toronto last September is also included, as is a remarkable mid-air backheel by Sampdoria’s Fabio Quagliarella.
Voting for the winner ends on September 1 and will decide the top three strikes, with a panel of FIFA legends then deciding on the overall winner.
1. Matheus Cunha
2. Daniel Zsori
3. Juan Fernando Quintero
4. Lionel Messi
5. Andros Townsend
6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
7. Amy Rodriguez
8. Ajara Nchout
9. Billie Simpson