- BREAKING: FG approves $5.3bn for Ibadan-Kano rail project
- BREAKING: Tribunal uphold Ayade’s victory
- Breaking: Nigerians who fled South Africa over xenophobic attacks arrive in Lagos
- BREAKING: Presidential tribunal upholds Buhari’s election, dismisses PDP petitions in its entirety
- BREAKING: No evidence in INEC electronically transmitted results to server, Court rules
- BREAKING: Immigration hurdles delay arrival of 317 Nigerians from South Africa
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s motion against Atiku’s lead counsel
- Breaking: FUOYE suspends Students’ Union, shuts campus
- BREAKING: Shi’ites bow to pressure, hold 30-minute procession
- BREAKING: Tribunal sacks APC Senator, Orji Kalu
EFCC arrests two yahoo boys, retrieve expensive cars and phones in Ibadan
Officials of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested two suspected internet fraudsters .
The suspects identified as Akeju Crown Babatunde, 31, and Agbanah Toba, 35, were arrested over their alleged involvement in internet fraud. The anti-graft was able to establish enough ground for prosecuting the suspects after retrieving data and documents from them.
The statement reads in part;
Akeju, for instance, was found of mining information from online sites, and was in possession of personal information and addresses of several Americans who have fallen victim to his fraudulent acts at different times.
The suspect usually operated with two email accounts – one personal and one other supposedly official – to penetrate his victims and dispossess them of their hard-earned money.
EFCC’s investigations also established Akeju’s deployment of fake identity to engage foreigners in romantic affairs with the intention to defraud them.
Findings revealed various lodgments from his foreign victims into his Nigerian bank accounts.
Agbanah’s case is not too different. He had admitted in his confessional statement with the Commission to be falsely representing himself as one Chris Dan, a 40-year-old Briton, working with the United Nations.
He confessed to have used the white man’s picture to lure his victims into romantic relationships and thereafter solicit for money from them allegedly to enable him to pay for his flight ticket to pay them scheduled visits. After much familiarization, he would then device other tricks to swindle them the more.
The two suspects are still helping the Commission with relevant information for further investigations into activities of their other partners.
At the point of his arrest, the EFCC recovered one iPhone xmax and one Toyota Venza from Akeju, while Agbanah was in possession of one Toyota Venza, one Toyota Camry, two Macbook, one Apple Ipad, one iPhone Xmax, one iPhone 5, one Infinix phone, two hard drives and one HP printer.