- BREAKING: INEC official abducted in Lokoja
- BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu begins payment of N35, 000 Minimum wage to Lagos workers
- BREAKING: Buhari on his way back to Nigeria
- BREAKING: Yola Varsity Chaplain, Prof Felix Ilesani, kidnapped
- BREAKING: Former Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele is dead
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
- BREAKING: Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s case against Fatoyinbo
- BREAKING: APC has no guber candidate for Bayelsa election, Court declares
- BREAKING: Scores feared dead, many injured as PDP, APC supporters clash in Bayelsa
Court jails farmer 10 years for raping, impregnating daughter
A Federal High Court in Lagos has sentenced a Lagos farmer, Yesiru Onajobi, to 10 years imprisonment for raping and impregnating his 14-year-old daughter (name withheld).
Justice Sule Hassan convicted Onajobi following a six-year trial
The judge said the prosecution successful proved the charges of rape and unlawful canal knowledge made against the farmer.
Justice Hassan held: “The prosecution has been able to establish the charges against the defendant. “I have also listened to the plea of allocutos made by the defendant’s counsel, though, she did not say much.
“The offences that the defendant is charged with are very serious offences, consequently, I hereby sentenced you, Yesiru Onajobi to 10 years imprisonment on each count without option of fine.
“The terms of imprisonment are to run concurrently. However, the period spent in custody shall be deducted from the jail terms”.
Onajobi was arraigned by the National Agency for Prohibition and Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), on July 18, 2013.
The offences, according to NAPTIP, contravened Sections 13 (1) and 18 (a) of the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Law Enforcement Act 2003.