- BREAKING: Buhari receives Lyon in Aso Rock
- BREAKING: APC floors PDP in Bayelsa guber poll, obtains over 200,000 votes
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Enugu Catholic Priest regains freedom
- BREAKING: INEC official abducted in Lokoja
- BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu begins payment of N35, 000 Minimum wage to Lagos workers
- BREAKING: Buhari on his way back to Nigeria
- BREAKING: Yola Varsity Chaplain, Prof Felix Ilesani, kidnapped
- BREAKING: Former Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele is dead
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
The Governorship Election Petition Tribunal in Port Harcourt has dismissed the petition filed by the Action Democratic Party, ADP and its 2019 governorship candidate, Victor Fingesi, seeking to cancel the victory of Governor Nyesom Wike in the 2019 Rivers state governorship election.
The ADP was before the tribunal to challenge the victory of the candidate of Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) in the election.
The three man petition tribunal panel led by Justice Kingsley A. Ojiako, dismissed the petition on Saturday for lacking in merit.
Fingesi and his party claimed that governorship election did not hold in the state, following widespread violence, which was confirmed by a statement signed and circulated by the Independent National Election Commission (INEC).
They urged the court to nullify the entire election, declare INEC results which announced Wike winner of the exercise null and void and order for a fresh poll.
Delivering the 3 -hour judgement, Justice Ojiakor ruled that the petition by the ADP lacked merit.
He said that the petitioners lacked lucus standi to argue the position in court.
Justice Ojiako ruled that the petitioner failed to present any reasonable cause of actions against the 2nd respondent (Wike), stating that ADP candidate lacked the locus standi to present grounds 5&6 based on inconsistent paragraphs in the petition.