Anyone who blocks my convoy should be shot – Gov Umahi
The governor of Ebonyi State, David Umahi, has ordered his security details to shoot anyone who blocks his convoy, even if such gunshot results to death, Mr Umahi said, it is still within the law.
Mr Umahi gave this order on Saturday while narrating how his convoy was blocked the previous night by mourners at a wake-keep in the state.
The governor’s convoy was reportedly blocked along Onicha Road in Onicha Local Government Area of the State on his way back to the state capital from his Uburu, Ohaozara hometown Friday night.
The governor’s convoy was block, the roadblock was said to have been mounted by a group of people observing a wake-keep sequel to a burial ceremony in the area.
He alleged that one of his security aides lost his military rifle in the incident.
While receiving some guests at the State Executive Chambers in Abakaliki on Saturday, the governor expressed his fury over the incident, saying it is a criminal breach of the law.
According to him “Yesterday night, I was coming back by 12 midnight. Of course, I had to stop over at the college to inspect projects, but when we got to Onicha, they blocked the road.
“Even with the litany of army and the police and everything, they did not even want to open the road. Then I said they should arrest all of them, but most of them ran away. I think they even took a gun of an army officer,” he said.
Mr Umahi said those who ran away would still be arrested and imprisoned.
“But I say, all of them will go to prison. So they have to identify them, bring them here and we will prosecute them to show an example,” he said.
To forestall anyone from blocking his convoy in the future, even if like the mourners, they are not armed, Mr Umahi said such persons should be shot.
“Next time the ADC should order for a shoot. It is very illegal to block the governor. And if anybody is killed in the course of that, it is allowed in the law.
“And it is not me that is the problem, it is the common man, nobody should be oppressed…,” the governor said.
The governor had earlier announced a ban on wake-keep extending beyond 10 p.m. in the state.
The Governor, who announced the ban, also ordered the immediate arrest, prosecution and imprisonment of all those involved in a recent roadblock against his convoy.