- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
- JUST IN: IPOB ‘attacks’ Rotimi Amaechi in Spain
- BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu loses father
- BREAKING: DSS attempts to rearrest Sowore in court (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Everton manager Marco Silva sacked
- BREAKING: DSS Finally Releases Sowore After 4 Months In Detention
- BREAKING: Senate passes 2020 Appropriation Bill, raises budget to N10.594trn
PHOTO: Three health workers arrested over indiscriminate dumping of medical waste in Rivers State
The Monitoring Team of the Sole Administrator of the Rivers State Waste Management Agency (RIWAMA), Felix Obuah have arrested three health workers for indiscriminately dumping of clinical wastes by the roadside at the Akpajo Roundabout off Oil Mill Junction in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
This was contained in a press statement signed by Jerry Needam, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to Sole Administrator, Rivers State Waste Management Agency (RIWAMA) and it was made available to reporters in Port Harcourt on Monday.
Obuah said the health workers were caught dumping some clinical wastes which include syringes, placenta amongst others on the road side.
He said the culprits who worked for a private clinic in the area, identified as Fruitful Maternity and Clinic, were caught in the act and promptly arrested, and handed over to the Police attached to RIWAMA Police for interrogation and prosecution.
The Sole Administrator said investigations by his team revealed that so many clinics, hospitals and health centers in Port Harcourt are culpable in this practice and warned that the Agency is on their trail with a view to bringing them to book.
The RIWAMA boss, while also condemning some traditional delivery homes, who engaged in the unwholesome practice, warned that the Agency would not spare any defaulter caught in the act.
He regretted that aside the indiscriminate dumping of clinical wastes, these health workers also dump refuse outside the Agency’s approved dumping hours of 6 pm to 12 midnight.