Nigeria records 14 new coronavirus cases, total now 288
Nigeria Centre for Disease Control Thursday night confirmed new cases of coronavirus.
“Fourteen new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria: 13 in Lagos and 1 in Delta State,” NCDC tweeted.
“As at 09:30 pm 9th April there are 288 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. Fifty-one have been discharged with seven deaths.”
With 288 cases confirmed, Lagos has the highest number of cases followed by Abuja with 54. Forty-four patients have been discharged, while six COVID-19 deaths have been recorded.
Earlier on Wednesday, a medical team from China arrived the country to assist in tackling the pandemic. Although the support of the Chinese team has since cause uproar in the country.
Doctors’ association has threatened to review their “participation in the fight against COVID-19” if a government decision to invite a Chinese medical team is not rescinded.
The Nigerian government argues the team of doctors are only coming to share their expertise but not to take over the care of patients.
However, the Nigerian Medical Association said inviting foreign doctors presented a national security concern and “demeans their sacrifices so far in this pandemic.”
Their statement – along with those of other civil society groups – also suggested a link between the arrival of Chinese doctors in Italy and an increase in cases there—even though the most plausible reason by scientists was the virus reaching its natural peak in Italy.
“Our doctors and nurses have been on top of the situation with records of recoveries and fewer casualties, thus raising questions about the real intentions of bringing in doctors from China,” Nigeria’s opposition People’s Democratic Party said.
But Nigerian government said the team will be isolated for 14 days before “their operation in the country.”
“In case you are looking for this, the Chinese medical team that arrived Abuja today to assist Nigeria in its fight against #COVID19, would be spending 14 days in quarantine before they begin their operation in the country,” a presidential aide, Bashir Ahmed tweeted on Wednesday night.