Saturday, 22 Aug 2026
  • My Feed
  • My Interests
  • My Saves
  • History
  • Latest Updates
Subscribe
WITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
  • 🔥
  • FEATURES
  • POLITICS
  • SPECIAL REPORTS
  • ANALYSIS
  • SPORTS
  • NOLLYWOOD
  • EDUCATION
  • OPINION
  • BUSINESS
  • LIFESTYLE
  • HEALTH
  • TECHNOLOGY
  • PRESS RELEASE
Font ResizerAa
WITHIN NIGERIAWITHIN NIGERIA
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • FACT CHECK
Search
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© WITHIN NIGERIA MEDIA LTD. All Rights Reserved.
EUROPEWorld News

Years Dog Food Recall: Nearly 200 Owners Report Eye Damage Linked to Buckwheat Ingredient

Last updated: August 22, 2026 2:51 pm
paulcraft
Share
dog food recall
dog food recall
SHARE

A UK subscription dog food brand has pulled almost its entire fresh meal range off the market after 192 customers reported sudden eye problems in their dogs, some severe enough to threaten permanent vision loss.

Contents
  • What Triggered the Recall
  • Recall Snapshot
  • Which Products Are Affected
  • Symptoms Dog Owners Should Watch For
  • What Owners Should Do Right Now

Years, a premium fresh-food delivery service that has served roughly 40,000 customers so far this year, told subscribers on Monday night to stop feeding its meals to their pets immediately. The company says it is investigating a possible link between its buckwheat ingredient and a painful condition called keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS), more commonly known as dry eye.

For a brand built on the promise of chef-cooked, “tailored” nutrition, the announcement marks a serious credibility test. It also leaves thousands of pet owners scrambling to figure out whether their dog’s food is affected, what symptoms to watch for, and what happens next.

What Triggered the Recall

According to Years, the first reports trickled in during late July, when a small number of customers described their dogs suddenly developing red, irritated eyes that stopped producing enough tears. By August 16, that number had grown to 57 suspected cases. Just two days later, on August 18, the count had more than tripled to 192 reports, prompting the company to pull nearly all of its fresh recipes from circulation.

The one exception is the brand’s Chef’s Collection, an ultra-premium, limited-edition line that uses a different recipe and has not been implicated in the reports.

Years says an independent veterinary nutrition specialist reviewed the early data on August 1 and found a link to the food unlikely at that stage, though the vet recommended further monitoring. As case numbers kept climbing through the month, and after input from ophthalmologists and customer advocates, the company changed course and issued the recall as a precaution.

Laboratory and toxicology testing on the brand’s buckwheat supply is still underway. Years has not confirmed a causal link between the ingredient and the eye problems, but it says it is treating contamination as a real possibility and is already reformulating its recipes to replace buckwheat with quinoa.

Recall Snapshot

Detail Figure
Total suspected eye-related reports (as of Aug. 18, 2026) 192
Suspected cases reported by Aug. 16, 2026 57
Customers served year-to-date ~40,000
Reported cases as share of customers served ~0.1%
Buckwheat content in affected recipes 6.3%–7.2%
Products excluded from the recall Chef’s Collection range
Subscription pause period Initial 6 weeks
Ingredient replacing buckwheat Quinoa

Which Products Are Affected

The recall covers nearly every fresh meal recipe in the standard Years lineup, all of which contained buckwheat as an ingredient. The company has not published a separate SKU-by-SKU list beyond confirming that the Chef’s Collection tier is the sole exclusion. If you subscribe to Years and are unsure whether your specific meal plan is affected, the safest move is to stop feeding the food immediately and check the notice sent directly to your account email, since the company has already paused active deliveries for the affected range.

Symptoms Dog Owners Should Watch For

Keratoconjunctivitis sicca develops when a dog’s eyes stop producing enough tears to keep the surface lubricated. Left untreated, it can progress to corneal ulcers, scarring, and in severe cases, permanent vision damage. Owners who have come forward describe the onset as sudden rather than gradual.

Watch for:

  • Red, inflamed, or visibly irritated eyes in both eyes at once
  • Thick discharge or a “gunky,” crusted appearance around the eyes
  • Squinting, pawing at the face, or apparent discomfort in bright light
  • A dull, dry look to the surface of the eye rather than its usual glossy shine
  • Sudden reluctance to have the eye area touched
  • In advanced cases, visible clouding of the cornea or signs the dog is struggling to see

One case that surfaced publicly involved an eight-year-old pug named Peanut, whose owner said his condition went “downhill overnight” after eating the affected food, leaving him unable to open his eyes properly. Another owner described his dog’s eyes turning “gunky” after roughly two years on the brand’s meals.

Because KCS can also stem from unrelated causes, including autoimmune conditions, certain medications, infections, or genetic predisposition, a diagnosis of dry eye alone does not confirm the food is to blame. That is precisely why Years is treating the pattern in reports, rather than any single case, as grounds for a precautionary recall.

What Owners Should Do Right Now

  1. Stop feeding the affected food immediately. Even without a confirmed cause, Years has told customers not to feed their remaining meals to any animal, including pets outside the original subscription.
  2. Watch your dog closely for the symptoms above, particularly redness, discharge, or squinting in both eyes.
  3. Call your vet if you notice anything unusual. Years and independent veterinarians both stress that early treatment for dry eye conditions significantly improves the outcome and lowers the risk of lasting damage.
  4. Request the free collection and credit. The company is arranging pickup of unused meals and applying a full account credit for affected orders.
  5. Report your case to Years. The company has asked customers experiencing symptoms to come forward, since additional reports help pin down whether buckwheat, contamination, or another factor is responsible.
  6. Hold off on reordering until the six-week pause lifts and the reformulated, buckwheat-free recipes are confirmed safe.

Years says it will use the pause to finish testing its buckwheat supply and transition its full recipe range to quinoa instead. Whether the investigation ultimately points to contamination, a broader ingredient issue, or something else entirely, the company has framed the recall as a proactive step taken ahead of a confirmed cause, not after one.

For an industry that has weathered a string of recalls this year, from thiamine-deficient freeze-dried recipes to elevated vitamin D levels in frozen food, this case stands out for how quickly the number of reports grew, more than tripling in under a week, and for how directly it ties back to something as ordinary as a grain ingredient.

Pet owners who feed commercial or subscription dog food more broadly may want to keep an eye on official recall trackers, including the FDA’s recall database and the American Veterinary Medical Association’s alerts page, both of which are updated as new pet food and treat recalls are announced.

TAGGED:Dog foodLoss of SightUK
Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Civil Service Who Is Abel Enitan? Meet Nigeria’s New Head of Civil Service of the Federation
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might Also Like

World News

China builds world’s largest double-deck suspension bridge (Photos)

By
Adejayan Gbenga Gsong
World News

Half-naked man jumped out of his plane, run towards another plane belonging to Delta Air Lines

By
Ola Peter
NEWSYWorld News

VIDEO: Footage Of How ISIS No. 2 Abu-Bilal al-Minuki Was Killed

By
Sodiq Lawal Chocomilo
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in danger after surgery
World News

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in danger after surgery

By
Davies Ngere Ify
WITHIN NIGERIA
Facebook Twitter Youtube Rss Medium

About US

 Your instant connection to breaking stories and live updates. Stay informed with our real-time coverage across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. Your reliable source for 24/7 news.

Top Categories
  • World News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Tech
  • Health
  • Travel
Usefull Links
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with US
  • Complaint
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Policy

© . All Rights Reserved.