10 dead, 400 hospitalised after drinking juice in Kano
No fewer than 10 persons have died and 400 hospitalised after drinking expired citric acid powdered drinks in Kano state.
It was gathered the batches of some of the products show that the drinks had expired over a year ago.
Among those hospitalised are 50 patients undergoing kidney- related treatment, because of complications arising from consumption of the killer drinks, Kano Commissioner for Health, Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa disclosed on Thursday.
The Commissioner explained that the affected persons are being treated in government hospitals.
He warned residents on consumption of juice during the period of Ramadan, to avoid catastrophic consequences.
The Commissioner in a short video message said: ”As you are aware, the Ministry of Health had in the recent past announced the outbreak of a strange disease traceable to the consumption of substandard juices.
“The consumption of these fake or substandard products have telling effects on the kidney, and vital organs of the body.”
The Consumer Protection Council has been investigating the incident, conducting searches in Kano markets and making seizures.