TRENDING IN 48-Hrs

El-Rufai speaks on Kebbi school attack, says it’s a threat to security in north-west

Governor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai has stated that the recent abduction of school children in Kebbi is not a good sign for security in the north-west.

This was stated by the governor during a visit to Atiku Bagudu, Kebbi governor, on Thursday.

Recall that the gunmen on June 17 had attacked the Federal Government College, Birnin Yauri, Kebbi, and abducted several students and teachers.

So far, security operatives have rescued 11 of the victims.

Speaking in Kebbi, el-Rufai expressed sadness over the attack, and called for urgent action to address insecurity in the region.

“We were very happy that the challenges of banditry and kidnapping that plagued Zamfara, Katsina, Sokoto and even Kaduna did not affect Kebbi,” NAN quoted him as saying.

“Kebbi was an island of peace in a sea of banditry. The recent development is disturbing. It portends a serious danger to security in the north-west region.

“Kebbi has become the centre of rice production in the country. Rice is eaten by many Nigerians. This is another reason this development is disturbing.”

He, however, noted that in Kaduna, the state government is working with security operatives to address the challenges.

“As a state government, there is a limit to what we can do. We have no full control over the army, the police or the air force,” he said.

“The security agencies have been doing their best. We all need to do more. We all have to play our roles in the circumstances we find ourselves.”

He commended the federal government for its support, and expressed optimism that the security challenges in the region will soon be eradicated.

MOST READ TODAY

Follow Us on Google News

Get News Via Whatsapp

Get Updates Via Telegram

Got news tip? send us story

POPULAR TODAY


Leave a comment

MORE STORIES

MORE STORIES

MORE VIDEOS

MORE STORIES