TRENDING IN 48-Hrs

PHOTOS: Bomb kills at least 50 at Shiite mosque in Afghanistan

At least 50 people have reportedly been killed following a bomb attack at a Shiite mosque in the Afghan city of Kunduz on Friday, October 8.

The attack is said to be the bloodiest assault since United States forces left the country.

A medical source at the Kunduz Provincial Hospital said that 35 dead and more than 50 injured had been taken there, while a worker at a Doctors Without Borders hospital reported 15 dead and scores more wounded.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid had earlier said an unknown number of people had been killed and injured when “an explosion took place in a mosque of our Shiite compatriots” in Kunduz.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

The bomb attack was carried out at the Gozar-e-Sayed Abad Mosque during Friday prayer service when the mosque is typically crowded.

Dost Mohammad Obaida, the deputy police chief for Kunduz province, said that the “majority of them have been killed”. He said the attack may have been carried out by a suicide bomber who mingled among the worshipers.

“I assure our Shiite brothers that the Taliban are prepared to ensure their safety,” Obaida said, adding that an investigation was underway.

MOST READ TODAY

Follow Us on Google News

Get News Via Whatsapp

Get Updates Via Telegram

Got news tip? send us story

POPULAR TODAY


Leave a comment

MORE STORIES

MORE STORIES

MORE VIDEOS

MORE STORIES