TRENDING IN 48-Hrs

Students disrupt Anambra Poly’s convocation over issuance of invalid certificates

Ex-students of Anambra State Polytechnic, Mgbakwu, disrupted the institution’s convocation ceremony on Friday, closing the gate and denying visitors and some management staff entry into the convocation arena.

WITHIN NIGERIA gathered that the protest, which was led by past students of the institution was because of the issuance of certificates, which have been rejected by other institutions, including employers of labour.

In a video circulating on social media, Frank Onyekachi Imo, a former student of the institution, who spoke to journalists said: “Some of our students who graduated here and attempted to further their education, their certificates were rejected and described as invalid.

“How can the school be talking of graduating students, when the students they graduated many years ago have not been mobilized for service?”

Another student leader who also spoke to journalists said: “I graduated here in 2015, and up till now, I’m yet to be mobilized for service, nor have I gotten my certificate. Some of our former students who have gotten their certificates were rejected in other institutions where they went to further their education, and their certificates were described as invalid.

“How can the school be talking of graduating students, when the ones who you graduated have not been properly taken care of.”

According to reports, the protesting students also barred the Commissioner for Education, Prof Kate Omenugha, from entering the institution on the day of the convocation.

The students demanded the sacking of the institution’s head, claiming that she had been the Rector since 2007, and that under her watch, the number of students as well as the quality of output had decreased.

“We are appealing to Governor Willie Obiano to look into the polytechnic. This is a state-owned institution, and there are other institutions that were founded by other states recently, but their certificates are recognized and their students mobilized for service.”

When newsmen spoke to the Dean of Student Affairs, Mr Chinedu Ejikeme, he stated that the convocation has been held, and only a few students decided to disrupt the convocation, but that it has been held.

He said: “It was just printer’s error that some of the students’ names did not appear for convocation, but from this week, they will be able to take their results.”

Attempt to reach the spokesperson of the polytechnic, Mr Albert Chukwuanu was not fruitful.

MOST READ TODAY

Follow Us on Google News

Get News Via Whatsapp

Get Updates Via Telegram

Got news tip? send us story

POPULAR TODAY


Leave a comment

MORE STORIES

MORE STORIES

MORE VIDEOS

MORE STORIES