- He disclosed that Tinubu submitted a flash drive of the whole budget before his presentation before the federal lawmakers.
- He added that lawmakers were satisfied with Tinubu’s verbal presentation
The Northern Caucus chairman in the House of Representatives, Alhaji Ado Alhassan Doguwa, says reports that President Bola Tinubu presented an empty budget box during his budget presentation on Wednesday are false.
Doguwa debunked the reports on Friday in a statement titled “Stop the Misrepresentation of Facts: We Did Not Receive Empty 2024 Budget Box from President Tinubu,”
He disclosed that Tinubu submitted a flash drive of the whole budget before his presentation before the federal lawmakers.
He added that lawmakers were satisfied with Tinubu’s verbal presentation and his analysis of various aspects of the budget.
Doguwa said: “I write in response to the mischievous insinuations that Mr. President laid empty boxes before the National Assembly on the day he presented the Appropriation Bill 2024.”
“What people don’t know is that Mr President had earlier submitted a flash drive as a soft copy of the 2024 Budget, which is now being printed out in hard copies, and as usual, brought one single hard copy of the budget to the floor,” Doguwa stated.
“Be that as it may, senators and honourable members were satisfied and were conveniently guided by the verbal presentation and the way Mr President dissected the budget and gave a specific analysis of the funds allocated to the various sectors of the economy. I, therefore, want to say that any media or mischievous reports insinuating that Mr. President laid empty boxes were not true and unfounded.”
Doguwa, who is also the chairman of the House Committee on Petroleum Upstream, insisted: “Such reports are only being perpetrated by mischief makers and opposition members who would always criticise the government with or without reasonable cause. I further wish to urge Nigerians to disregard such insinuations and condemn the perpetrators, as they are enemies of Nigeria’s progress.”
He further affirmed that the House Committee on Petroleum Upstream will start budget defence on estimates of agencies under its supervision next week.