So, you’ve got your eyes set on studying at the prestigious University of Jos, one of Nigeria’s most respected universities. Excellent choice. Established in 1975, UNIJOS has produced notable alumni across various fields. Before you get too excited about getting admitted to UNIJOS, you need to know the courses they offer and if you meet the admission requirements.
This article provides the official list of courses offered at University of Jos. With over 80 academic departments across 12 faculties, Read on to explore the courses offered at this reputable University and find out what it takes to gain admission into your program of choice.
History of University of Jos
The University of Jos was established in November 1971 as a satellite campus of the University of Ibadan. Pre-degree enrollment commenced in January 1972, and the first bachelor’s degree program kicked off in October 1973.
The Unijos were established in October 1975 by the military administration led by General Murtala Mohammed at the time. The first Vice-Chancellor of Unijos was Professor Gilbert Onuaguluchi. The newly reorganized University of Jos, which had four faculties Arts and Social Sciences, Education, Natural Sciences, and Medical Sciences, enrolled 575 students in October 1976. In 1977, postgraduate programs were added. By 1978, the Arts and Social Sciences had been divided, and the Faculties of Law and Environmental Sciences had been established.
UNIJOS has a rich history and has produced many notable alumni. It aims to be a world-class university that is globally competitive. The school is focused on teaching, learning, research, and community service. Some of the goals of UNIJOS include:
- Provide higher education and promote learning
- Advance knowledge through research and scholarship
- Serve the community through knowledge transfer and partnerships
- Prepare students to contribute positively to the development of Nigeria
With a vision to be a leading University in Africa, UNIJOS continues to focus on providing quality and holistic education to students while promoting excellence in teaching, research, and community service.
Complete List of Faculties at University of Jos
The University of Jos, UNIJOS, has 12 faculties offering various undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- College of Social Sciences
- College of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
With a variety of faculties and programs, UNIJOS provides quality education that can open up opportunities for an exciting career. Take your time to explore the different options and choose a course of study that ignites your passion.
Courses Offered at University of Jos
The University of Jos offers over 84 undergraduate programs across its 15 faculties. Here are the courses offered at UNIJOS:
- Accountancy / Accounting
- Actuarial Science
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Animal Production
- Arabic Studies
- Banking and Finance
- Business Administration
- Christian Religious Knowledge / Studies
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Criminology And Security Studies
- Criminology And Security Studies
- Crop Production
- Dentistry And Dental Surgery
- Early Childhood Education
- Education and Biology
- Education and Chemistry
- Education and Economics
- Education and English Language
- Education and French
- Education and Geography
- Education and History
- Education and Integrated Science
- Education and Mathematics
- Education and Physics
- Education and Religious Studies
- Education and Social Studies
- Educational Administration
- Educational Administration and Planning
- Electrical / Electronics Engineering
- English Language
- Estate Management
- Geography and Planning
- Geology and minning
- Guidance and Counseling
- History and International Studies
- Industrial Chemistry
- Islamic Studies
- Library and Information Science
- Literature in English
- Mass Communication
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medicine and Surgery
- Mining Engineering
- Nursing / Nursing Science
- Physical and Health Education
- Plant Science and Biotechnology
- Plant Science and Biotechnology
- Political Science
- Pure / Applied Chemistry
- Quantity Surveying
- Religious Studies
- Science Laboratory Technology
- Special Education
- Teacher Education Science
- Technical Education
- Theatre And Film Studies
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Veterinary Medicine
- Christian Religious Studies (CRS)
- Linguistics and Nigerian Languages
- Fine and Applied Arts
University of Jos Admission Requirements
To gain admission into the University of Jos (UNIJOS), there are certain requirements you must meet. Which includes:
- Candidates must be at least 16 years of age.
- Candidates must have at least 5 (five) “Cs (Credits)” grades in their O’level result (s). This must include English Language, Mathematics, and three other subjects related to their course of study.
- Candidates must score at least 180 in the JAMB UTME examination.
- Candidates must take UNIJOS post UTME screening examination and must pass the examination (the cut-off mark depends on the course of study)
- Candidates must choose the correct subject combination for their courses.
- Finally, candidates must meet the stipulated cutoff marks for their courses to gain admission into the University.
Candidates who wish to gain admission through direct entry into the University of Jos (UNIJOS) must meet the following requirements:
- Candidates must possess at least five (5) Credits in their O’level result. This must include English Language and Mathematics. Note that two-sitting result is not allowed.
- Candidates must have any of the following certificates: OND, ND, NCE, IJMB, Cambridge A level, BSc, HND, ICAN.
For admission into an M.Phil/Ph.D. programme
Candidates seeking admission to a Master’s Degree or Postgraduate Diploma at the University of Jos must have a good (First or Second Class) Honours Degree from this University or another university recognized by the Senate of the University of Jos. The first degree must be in a discipline related to the program for which admission is sought. Also, For all admissions, degree result transcripts are required.
Meeting these admission requirements is necessary to be considered for a spot at the University of Jos. If your application is successful, you’ll receive an admission letter to enroll in the University.
Documents required for the internal screening exercise at UNIJOS include:
- Original copy of JAMB result slip.
- Original documents, including ‘O’ level certificates (awaiting results are not accepted by UNIJOS).
- Original copy of your birth certificate.
- Secondary school testimonial.
- Eight (8) recent passport photographs.
University of Jos Unijos past and Present Vice-chancellors
- AE. Ayandele (Acting) (1971 – 1975)
- Gilbert Onuaguluchi (1975 – 1978)
- E. U. Emovon (1978 – 1985)
- Ochapa C. Onazi (1985 – 1989)
- Para Mallum (1989 – 1993)
- G. O. M. Tasie (Acting) (1993 – 1994)
- N.E. Gomwalk (1994 – 1999)
- M. Y. Mangvwat (Acting) (2000 – 2001)
- M. Y. Mangvwat (2001-2006)
- C.O.E. Onwuliri (Acting) (2006 – 2006)
- Sonni Gwanle Tyoden (2006 – 2011)
- Hayward Babale Mafuyai (2011 – 2016)
- Seddi Sabastian Maimako (June 23rd, 2016 – June 22nd, 2021)
- Gray Goziem Ejikeme (Acting) (June 23rd, 2021 – November 31st, 2021)
- Tanko Ishaya (December 1st, 2021 – Present)
So there you have it, a complete list of all courses offered at the University of Jos, along with their admission requirements. UNIJOS has a lot to offer any ambitious student looking to further their education.
The application process may seem daunting, but by preparing well, meeting their minimum admission requirements, and submitting a strong application, you’ll put yourself in a great position to become a UNIJOS student.