- Ballot snatching, shooting ruining ongoing Rivers bye-election
- Abuja building collapse: 2 killed, 18 trapped, six rescued
- Dankwambo in closed-door meeting with Obasanjo
- Gov Obiano’s aide, Randie Chima found dead in his room
- Armed robbers kill 12 while raiding two banks In Edo State
- DSS DG, Lawal Daura arrested, detained after Osinbajo sacked him
- Nigerian Army arrest Maje Lawan, one of the most wanted Boko Haram terrorists
- Nine Youth Corps members drown after taking party to River Mayo-Selbe in Taraba State
- Plateau lawmaker, Yusuf Gagdi, involved in ghastly accident, Airforce personnel hospitalised
- PDP files petition against Fayemi’s victory in Ekiti
Soldier who killed herdsman in Edo State over refusal to pay bribe arrested
The army officer who allegedly killed an Hausa cattle breeder has been arrested by the 4 Brigade of the Nigeria Army headquarters, Benin, Edo State.
The soldier allegedly shot dead Shafiu Garba at Uromi check-point over refusal to give bribe.
The Brigade spokesperson, Muhammed Maidawa, who confirmed the arrest in a statement claims that the deceased was hit by a bullet while trying to evade checks.
“It was alleged that the soldier killed Shafiu Garba over his refusal to give bribe at a checkpoint. It is important to put the records straight that soldiers on routine Stop and Search Operation at Uromi, Esan Central Local Government Area, shot at a moving truck that tried to evade checks.
Unfortunately, a civilian was hit by a bullet and was immediately rushed to a hospital at Uromi where he gave up.” the statement read in part.