- Breaking: Confusion as 2 groups stage protests for, against Oyo youngest commissioner
- BREAKING: Ex-Super Falcons player, Ifeanyi Chiejine is dead
- BREAKING: Fatoyinbo snubbed PFN’s investigating panel on rape allegation
- BREAKING: Court dismisses HDP’s petition against Buhari, APC, INEC
- Breaking: Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas
- BREAKING: Buhari remains Minister of Petroleum
- BREAKING: Court adjourns for judgment on Atiku’s petition
- BREAKING: Buhari begins swearing-in of ministers
- BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Atiku, PDP’s request to access ‘INEC server’
- BREAKING: Kogi Deputy Gov. Drags Assembly to court over impeachment notice
Two robbery suspects killed by police in Edo
Two suspected armed robbers have been announced dead by the Edo State Police Command on Monday in a gun duel with its men during an operation in Benin.
Newsmen had earlier reported that two teenage car snatchers were killed by policemen in a similar occurrence last week.
Monday’s incident took place at the Ekehuan community near the Asoro Hill in the capital city.
A member of the robbery gang, identified simply as Junior, was said to have escaped with gunshot injuries.
The state Commissioner of Police, DanMallam Muhammed, confirmed the incident to journalists.
He said, “Yes, two armed robbers were killed during an operation and the police recovered their guns and ammunition.
“There was a distress call, which the police responded to and caught the hoodlums in the act. When they sighted the police, they started firing and the police responded, and in the process, they two were killed.”
It was learnt that while the robbers were carrying out their operation, some members of the public put a distress call across to the police.
Muhammed urged members of the public to continue to collaborate with the police in their efforts to rid the state of criminals.