- BREAKING: We are ready to release Sowore – DSS
- BREAKING: Barely 24hrs after Oshiomhole Suspension, Edo APC suspends Edo Governor, Godwin Obaseki, Deputy Gov, SSG
- BREAKING: DSS disperses protesters seeking Sowore’s release
- BREAKING: Court threatens to strike out charge against Diezani
- BREAKING: Bayelsa APC deputy guber candidate disqualified
- Confusion as Appeal Court rules on Oyo guber poll
- BREAKING: Tam David-West dies at 83
- BREAKING: Petrol tanker burst into flame at Ipaja Road in Lagos State
- Akpabio triumphs as Appeal Court orders rerun in one local govt
- BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Adeyeye, declares Olujimi winner
Nigerian man jailed in UK for rape 3-months after lavish wedding in Uyo
Nigerian born oil and gas engineer, Kufre Umoh Uwem was yesterday handed a 7-year jail term for allegedly raping an 18-year-old student in Aberdeen.
The incident reportedly happened just three months after his lavish wedding in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State in December 2017.
34-year-old Kufre Umoh Uwem, of 6 Waterton Lawn, Stoneywood, Aberdeen, who was a sub-sea project engineer, purportedly detained the woman against her will in his flat, removed her clothing and proceeded to rape her.
He was also convicted of intent to rape a second woman in her flat, Evening Express UK reports.
The offences were committed on October, 18, 2012, and October 30, 2016, at flats in Aberdeen.
Delivering the judgement at the High Court in Glasgow, Judge Lord Arthurson said; “This was a course of violent and predatory sexual offending, notwithstanding the four years between the two offences.”
The court heard that Uwem’s first victim was a first-year student who Uwen met by chance and invited her to his flat. Once there, he allegedly raped her.
In a victim impact statement to the court, the victim said that the rape had “a monumental impact on her life”.
Uwem’s second victim was attacked in her own home.
Uwem was said to have restrained her, removed her lower clothing with intent to rape her.
He stood with his head bowed as Lord Arthurson told him: “The consequences are truly catastrophic for you”.