- Baba Sala’s friend, colleague, Ajimajasan dies few days apart
- Buhari calls late Hauwa Liman’s father
- Atiku picks Peter Obi as running mate for 2019 Presidential Election
- Lagos APC shun NWC, declares Sanwo-Olu winner of governorship primary
- NWC cancels Lagos APC primaries, Sanwo-olu reportedly defeats Ambode
- Lagos APC Primaries: Buhari summons Tinubu, Ambode today
- Two Nigerian Air Force jets crash while rehearsing for Independence celebrations, 1 Pilot confirmed dead
- Osun State Election Result: Adeleke, PDP disappointed as errors emerge in Ayedaade, Osogbo poll results
- National Carrier Project: Nigeria Air has been suspended indefinitely
- Exam Malpractice: Senator Adeleke declared wanted by Police
My Father Gave His Life For You – MKO Abiola’s Daughter Slams Dino Melaye
While speaking during a Channels TV programme, Tundun Abiola, daughter of the late Chief MKO Abiola, slammed Kogi state lawmaker, Senator Dino Melaye, over his earlier criticism of the posthumous award of Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (GCFR) bestowed on her father.
It was earlier reported that the influential politician, Dino Melaye, had during plenary in the upper legislative chamber of the National Assembly argued that Abiola cannot be awarded GCFR because he’s dead, and therefore no longer a Nigerian.
The lawmaker mentioned a section of the law which he claims buttresses his point and said; “Subsection 2 of the act says a person shall be eligible for appointment to any rank or holder unless he is a citizen of Nigeria.
“A dead man is not a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We should not be emotional about this. The law remains the law.”
In a swift reaction to Dino Melaye’s statement, Tundun, described the lawmaker’s comments as ‘laughable’ , saying her father gave his life for Melaye to enjoy democracy which allows him to say whatever he wants.
She further called on the lawmaker to make arguments that are sensible and logical, rather than talking ‘rubbish’.
She said, “I thought it was a laughable statement, but I’m really happy that Dino Melaye can stand in the Senate and make laughable statements. People like my father gave their lives for Dino Melaye to stand in the Senate and talk such rubbish, quite frankly.
“If we were still under the military, would he be able to do that? This is the beauty of democracy. Any honour that can be given should be given, and he is a Nigerian. It holds no water, Dino Melaye’s argument.
“He has every right to make an argument, this is the role of the opposition in a robust democracy and he’s doing that, but, for goodness’ sake, let the argument be logical and sensible.
“Is he going to propose that somebody like Awolowo who’s also a GCFR holder should be stripped of his title because he’s dead? I mean, it’s ridiculous
“Moral indignation is also a part of human nature but that’s not what I’m hearing from Mr Melaye; he’s just being petty in the guise of moral indignation.”