- Ballot snatching, shooting ruining ongoing Rivers bye-election
- Abuja building collapse: 2 killed, 18 trapped, six rescued
- Dankwambo in closed-door meeting with Obasanjo
- Gov Obiano’s aide, Randie Chima found dead in his room
- Armed robbers kill 12 while raiding two banks In Edo State
- DSS DG, Lawal Daura arrested, detained after Osinbajo sacked him
- Nigerian Army arrest Maje Lawan, one of the most wanted Boko Haram terrorists
- Nine Youth Corps members drown after taking party to River Mayo-Selbe in Taraba State
- Plateau lawmaker, Yusuf Gagdi, involved in ghastly accident, Airforce personnel hospitalised
- PDP files petition against Fayemi’s victory in Ekiti
My Father Gave His Life For You – MKO Abiola’s Daughter Slams Dino Melaye
While speaking during a Channels TV programme, Tundun Abiola, daughter of the late Chief MKO Abiola, slammed Kogi state lawmaker, Senator Dino Melaye, over his earlier criticism of the posthumous award of Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (GCFR) bestowed on her father.
It was earlier reported that the influential politician, Dino Melaye, had during plenary in the upper legislative chamber of the National Assembly argued that Abiola cannot be awarded GCFR because he’s dead, and therefore no longer a Nigerian.
The lawmaker mentioned a section of the law which he claims buttresses his point and said; “Subsection 2 of the act says a person shall be eligible for appointment to any rank or holder unless he is a citizen of Nigeria.
“A dead man is not a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We should not be emotional about this. The law remains the law.”
In a swift reaction to Dino Melaye’s statement, Tundun, described the lawmaker’s comments as ‘laughable’ , saying her father gave his life for Melaye to enjoy democracy which allows him to say whatever he wants.
She further called on the lawmaker to make arguments that are sensible and logical, rather than talking ‘rubbish’.
She said, “I thought it was a laughable statement, but I’m really happy that Dino Melaye can stand in the Senate and make laughable statements. People like my father gave their lives for Dino Melaye to stand in the Senate and talk such rubbish, quite frankly.
“If we were still under the military, would he be able to do that? This is the beauty of democracy. Any honour that can be given should be given, and he is a Nigerian. It holds no water, Dino Melaye’s argument.
“He has every right to make an argument, this is the role of the opposition in a robust democracy and he’s doing that, but, for goodness’ sake, let the argument be logical and sensible.
“Is he going to propose that somebody like Awolowo who’s also a GCFR holder should be stripped of his title because he’s dead? I mean, it’s ridiculous
“Moral indignation is also a part of human nature but that’s not what I’m hearing from Mr Melaye; he’s just being petty in the guise of moral indignation.”