- Atiku no longer restricted by Visa as the PDP presidential Candidate enters US with Senate President, Saraki
- Nigerian Billionaire, Femi Otedola set to acquire Power Distributing Firm in less than a month
- Nigeria’s ambassador to Cote d’Ivoire, Amb. Ibrahim Isah is dead
- Change of Lagos Commissioner of Police suspended
- Terrorists attack Upscale Hotel Complex in Kenya
- 2019: Senate Deputy, Ekweremadu finally gets appointment in Atiku’s Team
- Exposed: Dennis Aghanya, the man who petition Justice Walter Onnoghen was President Buhari’s aide
- CJN Walter Onnoghen: Atiku warns Buhari, says don’t throw Nigeria into crisis
- Again, APC website has been hacked
- Armed Policemen storm NFF with warrant to arrest Amaju Pinnick, others
My Father Gave His Life For You – MKO Abiola’s Daughter Slams Dino Melaye
While speaking during a Channels TV programme, Tundun Abiola, daughter of the late Chief MKO Abiola, slammed Kogi state lawmaker, Senator Dino Melaye, over his earlier criticism of the posthumous award of Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (GCFR) bestowed on her father.
It was earlier reported that the influential politician, Dino Melaye, had during plenary in the upper legislative chamber of the National Assembly argued that Abiola cannot be awarded GCFR because he’s dead, and therefore no longer a Nigerian.
The lawmaker mentioned a section of the law which he claims buttresses his point and said; “Subsection 2 of the act says a person shall be eligible for appointment to any rank or holder unless he is a citizen of Nigeria.
“A dead man is not a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We should not be emotional about this. The law remains the law.”
In a swift reaction to Dino Melaye’s statement, Tundun, described the lawmaker’s comments as ‘laughable’ , saying her father gave his life for Melaye to enjoy democracy which allows him to say whatever he wants.
She further called on the lawmaker to make arguments that are sensible and logical, rather than talking ‘rubbish’.
She said, “I thought it was a laughable statement, but I’m really happy that Dino Melaye can stand in the Senate and make laughable statements. People like my father gave their lives for Dino Melaye to stand in the Senate and talk such rubbish, quite frankly.
“If we were still under the military, would he be able to do that? This is the beauty of democracy. Any honour that can be given should be given, and he is a Nigerian. It holds no water, Dino Melaye’s argument.
“He has every right to make an argument, this is the role of the opposition in a robust democracy and he’s doing that, but, for goodness’ sake, let the argument be logical and sensible.
“Is he going to propose that somebody like Awolowo who’s also a GCFR holder should be stripped of his title because he’s dead? I mean, it’s ridiculous
“Moral indignation is also a part of human nature but that’s not what I’m hearing from Mr Melaye; he’s just being petty in the guise of moral indignation.”