- BREAKING: Explosion rocks Ondo, 5 oil wells on fire
- Buhari extends appointment of acting CJN, Muhammad
- BREAKING: UAE sentence another 8 Nigerians to death for robbery, 1 jailed for possession of stolen money
- BREAKING: Nollywood Movie Director Ifeanyi Onyeabor Dies
- BREAKING: Fire outbreak destroys multi-million properties in Ibadan, Residents laments delayed Fire Service
- Photo of Ex-lawmaker, Igbo leader, Anthony Igboka who was assassinated in Anambra
- BREAKING: Tanker explodes in Gombe, kills 10 (photos)
- Many feared dead as armed robbers attack only Bank in Ondo Community
- BREAKING: Owerri Airport on fire, cause yet unknown (video)
- Maiduguri Bomb blast: Death toll hits 5, 30 others injured
Bridge connecting 15 communities collapses in Kastina
Fifteen communities in Dandume Local Government Area of Katsina State were cut off after a bridge linking them collapsed on Sunday.
A bridge, located at Kirijam village, collapsed after several hours of continuous downpour on Sunday.
The Village Head of Kirijam, Sani Hamza, gave the names of the villages cut off by the disaster to include Kauran Fawa, Unguwan Tofa, Unguwan Dakare, Unguwan Fulani, Katoge, Sako, Unguwan Sarkin Rafi among others.
Hamza said: “The collapse of the bridge is causing us serious hardship, as people now have to go through very long distance to get out of their villages for their day-to-day activities and the situation is already affecting social and economic activities.
“I appeal to the state and local governments to come to our aid and repair the bridge as quickly as possible to enable us resume our normal activities.
“There is the need for urgent intervention by the relevant authority, so that the residents of these communities will not continue to suffer as a result of the collapsed bridge.’’
NAN reports that already, the Acting Chairman of Dandume local government, Hassan Musa, has visited the area to sympathise with the villagers and assess the extent of damage.
He pledged to immediately forward the issue to the Katsina State government for urgent intervention, noting that the bridge served as a major link for the residents.