- JUST IN: Atiku, PDP close case after calling 62 witnesses
- BREAKING: Court rejects Atiku’s returning officer’s request to amend statement
- BREAKING: I got presidential results from website, says Atiku’s witness
- Breaking: Mikel Obi announces retirement from Super Eagles, gives reasons
- BREAKING: Army investigates viral video of soldier assaulting motorist in Lagos
- Breaking: 60 persons escape death as hotel collapses in Ebonyi
- Breaking: Super Eagles defeat Tunisia to clinch Bronze
- BREAKING: Witness faults results of presidential election claimed by Atiku, PDP
- Breaking: Senate confirms Justice Tanko Muhammad as CJN
- Breaking: Tribunal issues subpoena on INEC Chair over Atiku, PDP’s complaints
Fake News: Police arrest WhatsApp group admin and it’s members
The Kano State Police Command have arrested a Whatsapp Group admin and it’s members in the state, after they allegedly circulated a fake news including an image of a married woman whom they claimed was trafficking children in Kano.
Magaji Musa Maaji, the spokesperson of the Police in the state, spoke to PRNigeria and said that the suspects were arrested and paraded after the victim of the circulated image lodged a formal complaint to the Police Command.
“We received a complaint from a married woman and a civil servant, Mrs Bushirat Madaki, that her picture is being shared on WhatsApp group with the intent to malign and incite the public against her.
Upon receiving the complaint, the Commissioner of Police, Alhaji Rabiu Yusuf ordered an immediate investigation by a special team who were able to trace and arrest three married suspects – a man and two women for circulating the fake and offensive information.
When confronted over the petition against them, the suspects admitted that the image and material on the woman were shared and forwarded in their group.
They also admitted that they didn’t know the woman in person and have never had interaction with her before distributing the image and the story. They, therefore, sought forgiveness.
For now, the Police Command has granted the suspects bails because the offence is bailable while further investigation is ongoing.
The police command is also currently providing security cover for the innocent woman for fear of mob attacks because her image and the false report on her have gone viral.”
The police spokesperson said it is an offence to share and circulate fake news that could undermine national security or incite the public against innocent people.
“We call on social media users to be wary of what they receive and share or forward on social media, especially WhatsApp. We should guard against the misuse of social media platforms by sharing and forwarding objectionable or fake messages.”
Related interesting topic; Man Who Snatched Married Woman From Husband In Kaduna Arrested By Sharia Police