- BREAKING: Tribunal upholds election of Gov. Makinde
- BREAKING: South African envoys designated to beg Nigerians arrive Abuja
- BREAKING: FG approves $5.3bn for Ibadan-Kano rail project
- BREAKING: Tribunal uphold Ayade’s victory
- Breaking: Nigerians who fled South Africa over xenophobic attacks arrive in Lagos
- BREAKING: Presidential tribunal upholds Buhari’s election, dismisses PDP petitions in its entirety
- BREAKING: No evidence in INEC electronically transmitted results to server, Court rules
- BREAKING: Immigration hurdles delay arrival of 317 Nigerians from South Africa
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s motion against Atiku’s lead counsel
- Breaking: FUOYE suspends Students’ Union, shuts campus
A bank robbery occurred in Igede Ekiti, headquarters of Irepodun/Ifelodun Local Government Area area of Ekiti State, late on Wednesday claimed two lives, while others sustained varying degrees of injury.
The Robbers who were fully armed were said to have stormed the town at about 5pm and held the area hostage for over forty minutes, while shooting sporadically during the robbery attack.
The incident was confirmed on Thursday by the State Police Command.
According to News Agency of Nigeria, those who died during the robbery that occurred at a first generation bank in the town has been identified as a bank official and a private security guard.
The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Caleb Ikechukwu, said police had launched a manhunt for the fleeing robbers.
Ikechukwu added that the command had also deployed more of its men in banks to curtail such incidents in the future.
Ikechukwu, however, did not confirm if the robbers made away with any cash from the bank.
He only confirmed that there was an exchange of gunshots between police and the bandits.
He said that the attack by the men from the command forced the robbers to flee the scene.
NAN reports that the guard, who was shot in the head, died within the premises of the bank, while the injured staff died in the hospital.
The PPRO disclosed that the robbers had planned on escaping through Ilawe-Igede road, but later drove into the bush and escaped into the thick forest between the two towns.
He said the expansive forest had already been surrounded up by the police and that his men are combing the bush in search of the robbers.
“The robbers would have done more havoc than they did, but for the prompt action taken by our men.
“There was an exchange of gunshots between the bandits and our personnel. They tried their best to manage the situation
“It is true that two persons were killed during the bank operation The operation was regrettable and the death of the two persons is painful.
“The command is stepping up its intelligence gathering skill and operation. As a temporary measure, we are going to deploy more men in banks to make the place safe for staff and customers
“As we speak, our Criminal Investigation Bureau and State Intelligence Investigation Department have drafted their men for intelligence gathering, while mobile policemen are on the road and other critical areas”, he said.
Ikechukwu, however, urged members of the public to go about their normal businesses, assuring that the police are on top of the situation.
When NAN visited the bank, broken doors and windows of the bank appeared to have been blown off with dynamite, while blood stains were still visible.